Below deck autopilot install

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

Looks good!!  I see they were able to anodize the radial rather than powder coat it.  Thats good news.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Quote from: Noah on February 06, 2021, 06:30:56 PM
Nice! The radial wheel came out better than I expected.

Yeah me too. Even the guy at the anodizing place had his doubts, said if it didn't come out right he'd powder coat it for me instead. At least now it won't get any worse and I'll likely get another 29 years out of it.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

It's been a while since I've updated anything on the topic. Sadly it's still not installed as I've taken a break from projects to simply enjoy the boat and go sailing as much as I could this summer. Fall is here so I'm starting to work on the boat again. I finally got the jig all done and now it stays locked in at 90°. Expect to see some more regular updates.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Is this a jig to locate the mounting point of the autopilot drive?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Yes it is, it satisfies all the requirements set by raymarine. It's exactly at 90° in both planes and is at 27.5" from pin to pin. Once I'm done with my project the jig will be up for grabs.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Some progress...

Mount the tiller arm back on and was able to play around with the jig. Turns out there's only way way I can mount this ram with my setup, it has to be mounted upside down hanging. A bit more of a PITA to accomplish but the upside is that it's going to be less in the "way". I will likely have a bracket made of stainless steel, attached to the cockpit floor with one side bolting on where the manual bilge pumps is and the other side where the shore power connections is, that way it's going to be fairly strong.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Noah

Logo- I think you have already seen my install and I know a MKI is different, but you might consider the "tower" mount to the hull as an alternative option.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

LogoFreak

Thanks Noah, but it won't fit if I mount it right side up, the body of the linear drive would hit the "ceiling".
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Logo... i spotted in one of your photos what looks to be a glassed in propane locker on the port side.  Can you tell me/us more about that?  It looks a whole lot bigger than what I can fit in the factory box made by seaward that is mounted in my mk1.5.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Hey Alex, I wasn't aware that they weren't all the same. I never really payed too much attention to it. If I don't end up going to work tomorrow I'll be at the marina and can take some more detailed pictures. From what I remember though it has a 10lb bottle in it and the actual tub is a screwed in fiberglass insert.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Thanks... I look forward to seeing a bit more about it.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Well not much progress today, a lot of staring and slow processing lol. Ran into a snag when I was trying to figure out if the rudder was actually amidship before I start marking anything. Didn't have my GoPro with me and my arms are too short to reach where the rudder meats the hull to feel with my fingers it it's straight or not, and I wasn't willing to go for a swim... Heading back to the boat in the morning with my GoPro and some lasers as well.

I did draw a 10" radius with a 35°/30°/0°/30°/35° marked on a piece of cardboard so that when I find the midship position I can mark those spots on the ceiling.

Oh and as requested I took pictures of the gas locker, it's in fact made my Seaward products and the model number is C903
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Thanks for the photos of the propane locker.  I wish thats what I had, however I suspect that you dont have a cockpit ahower back there between the two lazzerette lockers.  Mine is on the port side vertical face of the "exit" through the transom. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

I do have one, it's just on the starboard side.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Gotcha... that must be how the worked around that larger locker occupying the whole lazzerette side.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte