Below deck autopilot install

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

Very cool!  What platform are you designing in?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

I use Sketchup for anything 3D and TurboCAD for all my 2D drawings. Didn't mind spending $90 for turbo cad designer but I'm not paying close to $1000 for the occasional time I need to tinker with a 3D design so Sketchup does me fine and it's free.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

waughoo

I used to use autocad for all my scale drawings but havent yet found a good choice for 3d designs.  I miss desktop applications.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Top rudder bearing/bushing/spacer done! Always so cool to hold a physical part that was only in my head and a computer render just a few days ago.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Awesome!!!  I forget how you made it.  Was this a milling machine with delrin?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Quote from: waughoo on January 30, 2021, 08:18:02 AM
Awesome!!!  I forget how you made it.  Was this a milling machine with delrin?

I wish I had the setup to make it myself, I had a machine shop make it for me. The boat yard I'm at has a a huge machine shop as there's lots of commercial fishing boats that get hauled out for repairs.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Awesome day at the boat today! The top rudder bearing couldn't have had worked out better!

Had to enlarge the hole in the cabin sole (under inspection port where the retaining collar is) for the new bearing to fit into. Wasn't too hard, used the closest hole saw I had and then a rasper bit on a drill to open it up until the bearing fit.

All my measuring worked out as both the height of the bearing and the inside bore are perfect for a slop free install. No up down play and no side to side play, rudder feels solid!

Then I re attached the radial drive and new tiller arm for the autopilot and market their position on the rudder stock, dropped the rudder and took it all home to drill out the thru bolts for both the radial drive and the tiller arm. Unfortunately I forgot to take pics of when they were installed, I'll take some once it's installed for good.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

That is super cool!  I'm looking forward to seeing the finished install pics. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

My friend Zen took this picture of me checking rudder angles, was checking to see what 35° Looked like in real life. To be honest I'd prefer having the ability to go to 45° for maneuvering in tight spaces, but raymarine specifies I need to limit rudder to a maximum of 35°.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Noah

I wouldn't worry about it. My Simrad autopilot has the same rudder stop limit/restriction and 35 degrees works just fine. In my experience with most fin keeled sailboats, any more rudder angle is just wasted and results in "stalling out" and doesn't really help in faster maneuvering.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

LogoFreak

Good to know Noah! I had a feeling that may be the case but it's nice to hear from real world experience.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Yesterday and today got the holes for the thru bolts drilled in the rudder stock, got one done in the garage (kinda worked out) and the other one at the machine shop I use on his milling machine (way more accurate :D)

Dropped off both the radial drive and tiller arm at the anodizing place, they said they'll try to anodize the cast radial drive as well to see if it works out, if not they will powder coat it. Should have them back by Friday.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Got the pieces back from anodizing.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Noah

Nice! The radial wheel came out better than I expected.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig