Cockpit Cushions

Previous topic - Next topic

girmann

It looks like it's been a few years since this was discussed the last time, so I figured I would bring it up here. Especially since it looks like Bottom Siders is out of business

Is there a consensus on which is better in the cockpit, closed cell or open cell foam cushions? We like to use our cushions both sailing and at rest. I was originally looking at Catalina Direct, but as I did more research, I found tons more manufacturers... C Cushions, Catalina Owners, Foam Order, and The Foam Shop, just to name a few.

They all seem to have the same types of cushions, just different options built around two themes: Vinyl and open cell foam, or Sunbrella and closed cell foam. 

Anyone have any thoughts about the manufacturers or whether open or closed cell is the right choice?

Mark
Mola Mola #1488
Proud owner of hull #1488

pbyrne

Quote from: girmann on July 05, 2023, 11:34:46 AM
It looks like it's been a few years since this was discussed the last time, so I figured I would bring it up here. Especially since it looks like Bottom Siders is out of business

Is there a consensus on which is better in the cockpit, closed cell or open cell foam cushions? We like to use our cushions both sailing and at rest. I was originally looking at Catalina Direct, but as I did more research, I found tons more manufacturers... C Cushions, Catalina Owners, Foam Order, and The Foam Shop, just to name a few.

They all seem to have the same types of cushions, just different options built around two themes: Vinyl and open cell foam, or Sunbrella and closed cell foam. 

Anyone have any thoughts about the manufacturers or whether open or closed cell is the right choice?

Mark
Mola Mola #1488

My .02 cents is closed cell.  Open cell will absorb water.  To be honest other than to nap on the full length cushions are more trouble than they are worth.  When hustling around the cockpit under sail, they can slip when standing on them, and they are a pain to store.  We just use the folding seats with the adjustable backs.  Much easier to work with.

BUT... the full length is nicer for company or to sleep on!
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Breakin Away

Regardless of whether it's open cell or closed cell, it's very important to consider the firmness of the foam vs. its intended use. If you're sitting, all your weight is in a relatively small area, so you need something that's firmer than if you're lying down, where your weight is spread over a wide area. So a cushion for sitting should be significantly firmer (and thicker) than a cushion for lying down.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Noah

Check on the Sailtite website and/or call them. They have some fast draining (open cell) for cockpit cushions, in three different firmnesses.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWe just use the folding seats with the adjustable backs. 

That's what I use.  I would only recommend the Sport-a-seat.   My Sport-a-seats are 15 years old and still good.  Friends that bought knock offs were soon disappointed with the frame/hinge breaking.   
Having said that, cushions with closed cell foam with a mesh cover are good in the rain and dry quickly but are not as comfortable to me.
https://www.sportaseat.com/
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

girmann

Jim,

Thanks for the response. I found your posts suggesting this and I think it would be a great solution for riding on the bow. The admiral wants the full length cushions and Mola Mola already has the snaps to hold them in place so they won't fly around.

Mark

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on July 05, 2023, 01:11:15 PM
QuoteWe just use the folding seats with the adjustable backs. 

That's what I use.  I would only recommend the Sport-a-seat.   My Sport-a-seats are 15 years old and still good.  Friends that bought knock offs were soon disappointed with the frame/hinge breaking.   
Having said that, cushions with closed cell foam with a mesh cover are good in the rain and dry quickly but are not as comfortable to me.
https://www.sportaseat.com/
Jim

girmann

Do you mean Sailrite? I couldn't find anything on Sailtite, but I'm not a great googler.

Quote from: Noah on July 05, 2023, 12:55:18 PM
Check on the Sailtite website and/or call them. They have some fast draining (open cell) for cockpit cushions, in three different firmnesses.

Ron Hill

Mark : YES, Sailrite. They have machines, all kinds of material, sewing products/equipment and foam!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Mark

I have C Cushions and like them.  When I got them I had compared Bottom siders and preferred CCs.  Customer service was great.  They originally messed up on some sizing and immediately replaced all of them, no muss no fuss.  I gave them precise patterns of each seat but with mine on the FINISHED size they did not account for expansion when it is hot as Hades.  So they didn't fit correctly (have split cushions, 3 per seat plus a custom hump seat at the helm.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain