New starter

Previous topic - Next topic

andre

Thank you for all. So I can't go this year to Bahamas because of the covid virus, I will have time for preparing my next long trip and thinking about the spare parts that I will bring with me.
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

KWKloeber

@Noah @Kevin

I'm not sure that Noah was reacting to my post, but... (ir)regardless I was answering Jim's question, not critiquing what Andre' should carry.  He didn't ask whether he should carry a starter, it was a fait accompli.

Yes, anyone/everyone has different needs and of course there's a key difference between maintenance-spares (impellers) and equipment-spares, but beyond that -- my point, poorly made, is that MORE importantly there's equipment that can be maintained so they're not as important to carry a spare (presuming of course that the equipment is indeed periodically maintained.)

Just as an example --  (just an example, for heaven's sake, not a critique of anyone) some need more equipment spares than I would.  BUT, the key is WHICH equipmnt are most likely to fail?  As Ron attested-to, the starters are ROBUST.  A coolant pump, maybe not so much.  A water pump bearing gets much more use/potential wear than a does a starter.  But either one failing (or any one of the other equipment items in my list) has exactly the same end -- no engine.  So those statements being true, which items are most important to carry spares?  My answer is on top the list should be the one(s) that cannot be maintained.  The starter and alternator can be tested and refurbed to as-new condition (i.e., you DON'T NEED to wait until one fails.)  The coolant pump can't -- it's simply replaced, so (IMO) it pays to carry a spare because I'm not going to pull and "maintain it" every year (although I suppose I could preemptively change it every 10 years.)

So back to Jim's point -- so if you need to cull the list, the rationale which are the more-critical equipment spares to carry, can be based on maintenance.  There is nothing I am going to do to "maintain" a coolant or injector pump (on a periodic basis) to prevent them from failing in the coming "X" period of time.  Versus a starter or alternator or seawater pump (that I can periodically maintain to near-new condition.)

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

andre

In the same idea, is there anyone who has remove his starter on a M35bc. I think that is a big job, as I saw I think that I need to remove alternator and all the hose and no place to see the bolt on the left side of the starter. I would like to remove the starter and maybe rebuilt while I have the time for that . Thank you
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

Robert Mann

Andre, while I haven't specifically tried to remove the starter motor on the M35BC in my boat I have learnt a couple of things while trouble shooting my alarm system.
1) Before working on the starter motor side of the engine remove the panel behind the lower stairs, it's amazing how my disposition improved with better access.  6 screws and 2 minutes.
2) The alternator, mine is the Mando, comes off really easily. Just a point on this, the hose from the exhaust manifold coolant overflow to the expansion tank was jammed behind the alternator and happily chaffing it's way to a leak on my boat. Any MkII boats should probably give this a look.
3) If you work on the rear of the engine and the heat exchanger, pull the cabinetry in the aft cabin that covers the transmission.  Again it's about 6 screws, takes 5 minutes and the improvement is tremendous, the damaged knuckles are reduced to a tolerable level.  This also makes aligning the engine/coupling a simple job.
The last point makes working on the glowplug solenoid debacle almost enjoyable, well maybe not!
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

scgunner

Andre,

Another thing just occurred to me, if you're going to carry a spare starter or any other replacement component for that matter, it would be a good idea to make sure you have the tools necessary to make the swap. That spare whatever isn't going to do you much good if you can't make the swap.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Guys : Many of the people that I know of that went south, also carried their old OEM alternator - as a "just in case".

Another thought
Ron, Apache #788