New starter

Previous topic - Next topic

andre

Hi I have a lot of spare parts but I would like to know where to buy a starter for my M35Bc  1997. It's very expensive at westerbeke dealer and I want just a spare. Any idea. Thank you.
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

KWKloeber

Andre

From your Kubota beaker or online.  It's  Kubota V1300 engine block. I'd choose Kubota unless from online you know the source/quality and whether it's a cheap knock off.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kubota+starter+V1305&oq=kubota+starter+V1300
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

andre

Thank you Ken, It's for a spare is it the same for a v1300 and the v1305

KWKloeber

Andre
Apologies I meant to type It's a Kubota V1305 engine block in my post.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kubota+starter+V1305

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Jim Hardesty

Ok now you have me thinking  :?   I've not thought a spare starter was needed, but for under $80, may be I should.   I believe starters are robust things and has been my experience usually give some signs when failing.  My question is, how much trouble has the group experienced with failed starters?   Is it worth it to have a spare on board?  Knowing some depends on how far you cruise from a supplier.
Jim 
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Jim : In my old M25XP engine the starter was sill going strong when I changed it out @ 5,000 hrs.  That old engine had OTHER Big problems.
I might mention that I let the glow plugs do there job (added the solenoid mod.) so all I needed to do was "touch" the starter!!

When I went south, the only extra spares (other than spares normally carried) was an extra transducer for the depth finder and a spare fresh water pump.  I needed neither!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

andre

My motor has 2000 hrs, so having a starter for spare is just a security because when you are in Bahamas island alone it's very hard to find store. There is Nassau and Georgetown where the plane can goes. After that you can wait a week or two to have the stock and pay 20.00 each time that you change the door for custom. I have the experience with that, so I don't have all the parts but alternator, fuel lift pump, strap, impeller ect.  That why I would like a starter but I don't want to pay to much. It's good for me I'm learning my English. Ha ha

KWKloeber

Is it worth it to have a spare on board?

[IMO] not for most owners.  rather treat the starter as a maintenance item.  @ say 10 years, have a shop check it out, replace/rebuild to new condition, and be good for another period, and DON'T abuse it.  However, as you say, a cheapo spare is not a big money drain -- but just another thing to carry aboard -- pretty soon parts get onerous.
Where do you draw the line?  spare Hx?  spare seawater pump?  spare tranny?  spare injection pump?  spare coolant pump?  spare prop?  spare solenoid?  spare oil pump?  spare lift pump?  spare engine (2) circuit breakers (B engines,)  Any one of those puts you out of business.  I dunno where that line would be.  I suppose the answer is, whatever you don't want to break, carry a spare because that assures something else will.

Noah

In my opinion,  Andre, who sails from Canada to the Bahamas multi-times, is entitled to bring all the spares that give him comfort—without critique.  :thumb:  8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mark_53

Quote from: Noah on October 11, 2020, 06:09:13 PM
In my opinion,  Andre, who sails from Canada to the Bahamas multi-times, is entitled to bring all the spares that give him comfort—without critique.  :thumb:  8)
Also consider how often one starts their engine.  Sounds like Andre starts more than average.

scgunner

Noah,

I don't think Ken was being critical but rather pointing out the other side of the equation of how many spares do you need to carry. Personally I think it's how many it takes to give you piece of mind, one of those YBYC situations. Early on I collected a lot of spares, the problem for me was keeping track of them and after years of not needing them remembering which spares I had. As I became more familiar with my boat I realized I could start eliminating spares by focusing on excellent maintenance. Spares wise about the only things I carry now are; a fuel pump, impeller, fanbelt, and a hose repair kit. Seems to work for me, Andre will have to decide what works for him.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

I think the issue is what parts do you have onboard that are hard to find or source and/or expensive, when you are cruising far from your home base—and breakdown.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Patches

Yeah, I tend to be closer to Noah on this issue.  My boat is 30 years old this year, with original M25xp and Hurth transmission running strong. The parts seem to be more difficult to source, and the replacements (if any) are often not drop-ins.  When last week I saw a rebuilt Hurth HBW-50 locally for $350 on Craigslist, I jumped on it.   I carry the recommended spare parts, including a fuel pump.  But when I go for an extended cruise in a couple of years I will carry at least a spare starter, the tranny, and alternator-- in addition to what's on board now.

Patches 

glennd3

Just don't keep 3 used impellers on board. Throw old stuff away.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on October 12, 2020, 08:48:27 AM
I think the issue is what parts do you have onboard that are hard to find or source and/or expensive, when you are cruising far from your home base—and breakdown.

True.

From the 101 Topics:

Spares for a Long Cruise 101 - Thanks to Steve Dolling

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4590.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."