Fixed Portlight Tint

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Mann

Has anyone involved in the replacement of Mk II fixed portlights, no frames, no screws, discovered the correct tint for the acrylic?  I have found a reference on the C350 forum to Grey 2064, but I am not sure if this is correct.

I have a leak in the sealant around the rear most starboard fixed portlight and I am about ready to try and saw a replacement myself if I cant get the original out in one piece and reuse it.  It looks like Performance Plastics have a variety of tints and will sell partial sheets sawn to say 10" x 48" .  I only need the one portlight so I hate to part with $500 - $700 for a set.
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

Noah

IMO- Getting tint specs from someone other than Catalina is risky. I would take the old one out, take it or a piece or it, and match it either locally of send it to your plastics supplier. It may take longer this way but safer. Or, have your supplier send you small samples that you can compare to existing installed ones. Hold them up to the light to compare, using an open, opening portlight next to your fixed portlight, to get an accurate a side-by-side comparison.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Roc

Have you contacted Catalina Yachts directly to see if they have a specification for the port light color and density ("opaque-ness")
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

scgunner

Robert,

When I replaced my cabin windows I went with an online supplier. They sent me 4 or 5 samples of different tints and I was able to order the exact shade for the replacement windows.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

dfloeter

Our fixed port lights are cracked and needy.  Has anyone looked at polycarbonate as an option? Polycarbonate is more expensive but I think it might be more durable.  Are there any reasons to stay with acrylic? Does acrylic conform to the complex curvature more easily?
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Robert Mann

Roc, yes I have an email into the parts dept. at Catalina.  I will give them a shout next week to see if I can get the detail, if I don't see an answer.
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

Noah

It's a trade-off between stronger and more expensive (Polycarbonate) and cheaper and more scratch resistant (acrylic). Scratches in acrylic can be buffed polished-out—not so with Polycarbonate.
Standard Rig

derekb

Acrylic (PMMA) is also more resistant to UV weathering than polycarbonate. Polycarbonate in its natural form has very poor UV-resistance, so additives are added into the polymer before it is extruded into sheets to give it some level of UV resistance. Some polycarbonate sheets (usually the corrugated types, for roofing) have a thin layer of highly UV resistant plastic extruded over the top of the polycarbonate to protect it, but that's not the case for the 1/4" sheets for our port-lights. I'll be replacing my Mk I fixed port-lights some time soon, and I'll be going with acrylic.
Derek Buckmaster
Esprit, 1986 C34 Mark I #29. Fin keel, Universal M25.
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

dfloeter

Thanks guys.  That's just the kind of info that makes this site so valuable.  Acrylic it is and as soon as I install the winter cover I will launch into this job. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

oldcatsailor

When I needed fixed port over chart table Catalina contacted their supplier and he shipped one for 83$ 1990
NJ

Sail 1064 Tr wing keel 1990/

Noah

That's an interesting and helpful twist. When, who did you speak to at Catalina, no template or specs needed? More details please!
Standard Rig

karista

Noah
I also needed to replace the fixed port light over the chart table a few years ago. Since I live very close to the Catalina factory I called them to check availability. They (Warren Pandry) told me that they will require a pattern of my existing port light before they could make one. Our Catalinas were all made in California and Warren told me that their Largo Factory does not have the fixed port light pattern. I made a pattern and took it to their factory and they then made it for me at their factory, it was well done with the edge beveled all around. Cost back then was about $125
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Noah

Thx Bernd- i remember your story, which is why I was surprised by Oldcatsailor's post saying "Catalina just had their supplier send him one..."
Standard Rig

oldcatsailor

It was 2011 don't remember who I talked to buy said they would contact supplier in Mexico ,will look to see if I have packing slip,1990
Sail 1064 Tr wing keel 1990/

waughoo

I'd also like to put in a vote for talking to Catalina.  I made a number of calls to them for a set for my mk1.  I ended up talking to Jerry Douglass himself who found a set and sent them to me.  It took me a while to realize who I was talking to.  When i finaly realized it, I got a little star struck.

I plan to do mine without the screws.  What is your plan to clamp them in place while the sealant sets up?  I have the drawing that shows the jig used by catalina.  I plan to try that, but im a bit anxious about building the jig.  I'd be curious to see what you all have done.

Note: i have not yet searched the archive for answers.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte