Transmission Dip Stick

Previous topic - Next topic

senorquill

Gentlemen,

I went to do a trans fluid check the other day and the bolt on the top just spins.  I tried wedging a screw driver in and Turing at the same time, to no avail.  I also tried using a vis-grip and applying upward pressure but that didn't work.

Does anyone have any tips?

I'm about to call it quits and pay someone to fix it.  The aluminum treads must be shot. Hurth HBW50 with direct drive.

Ryan

1987 C34 (Hull 368)
Engine: Universal M25XP
MQ

Ron Hill

MQ : I believe that you are going to have to remove the transmission from the engine before anything else can be done!!  there are a few posts on that topic, but you'll have to remove the bell housing first, as the transmission is bolted on from the "inside"!!   :cry4`

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

scgunner

Ryan,

If you remove the HX you'll have much better access to the dipstick bolt. It's an easy do, two bolts and four hose clamps. You can drain most of the coolant through the starboard side drain valve. It just might provide the access you need to avoid having to pull the tranny. Good Luck!
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Roc

I had an issue with the threads for the trans dip stick.  I had the yard install a "heli-coil", which is a way to put new threads in the transmission casing.  Solved the problem.  Dip stick threads onto the casing with no problem.  Had it now for years.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scgunner on October 02, 2020, 08:29:19 AM
Ryan,

If you remove the HX you'll have much better access to the dipstick bolt. It's an easy do, two bolts and four hose clamps. You can drain most of the coolant through the starboard side drain valve. It just might provide the access you need to avoid having to pull the tranny. Good Luck!

Agree on the HX removal.

Here's another way to drain the coolant:

Engine Overheating 101 - How to Burp Your Engine (Reply #6)  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4518.msg26462.html#msg26462

I have always recommended against using the engine petcock(s) because those small openings can well get stopped up rendering them useless.  I wouldn't touch them.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Ryan : A Heli-Coil is the way to go!  It's done on engine spark plug ports all the time - to repair stripped threads.  Easy fix

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

scgunner

Stu,

There are numerous ways to not only drain your coolant but to refill the cooling system as well, I think that comes under the heading of whatever works best for you. I use the petcock to drain the coolant and find it very convenient, I attach an 18" piece of 1/4" clear tubing to the petcock(it slips right on)the other end into an old coolant container, open the valve and the coolant is gone, no muss, no fuss.

If Universal didn't want you to use it they probably wouldn't have installed it. If your valve gets clogged it's probably due to a build up of sediment in the cooling system, you may want to consider flushing your system. The problem with a petcock is usually due to lack of use, unless the valve is exercised the seals get hard and it leaks even when closed. If that's the problem you can always order a new one or if you don't want to use you can size a threaded brass plug to replace it.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Stu Jackson

Kevin, good description of the options, thanks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

senorquill

All,

Thanks again for the help.  I'll research how to remove the Trans, if I can do that I'll save a bunch of money.  I've removed the HX 3 times now, so I got that down. The mechanic said he would put a heli-coil in.  It's just a waiting game, we have another hurricane on its way to us.  Sally took the dock out so I've been paddle boarding to the boat.

Ryan
MQ

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThe mechanic said he would put a heli-coil in.

If it were me I'd also change the fluid a couple of times in case any metal chips fell in. If any are seen, change again.  And another after a short time operating.
Lots of luck with the hurricane
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Ryan : If your mechanic has put in Heli-coils before, I'm sure that he'll be very mindful of the chip possibility. Personally with the transmission out, I turn it nearly upside down to install the heli-coil. 

Easily done as the side plate gives extra access.  Look at my Mainsheet tech note article w/pictures on that side plate topic.

Hope all is well after "Delta" passes thru.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788