Overheat Alarm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Buddy : You most likely have an M35A (30hp) engine as Catalina didn't install the M35BC (35hp) until the MK ll in 1995.  (Unless a PO installed a new engine!?!) Your raw water pump is undoubtly on the starboard face of the engine!

I can hear my Hi temp warning in the cockpit and infact I've wired in a "press to test toggle" (sender to gnd) on my engine instrument panel. I check it every time I start the engine.  My real screamer is the oil pressure alarm.

There are times that I go below when on auto pilot, but not for long and I check 360 degrees before I go below. I like to look at the engine especially the raw water pump periodically and the packing gland for any dripping on one side and the alternator/engine/drive belt on the other side!!  Don't stay down there too long, but do like to do engine checks!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on October 05, 2020, 02:17:59 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>

There are times that I go below when on auto pilot, but not for long and I check 360 degrees before I go below. I like to look at the engine especially the raw water pump periodically and the packing gland for any dripping!!  Don't stay down there too long, but do like to do some checks!! 

Indeed, good advice.

In fact, there is a post in the Critical Upgrades entitled: Check Engine While Running.

I doubt if anyone who singlehands their boat DOESN'T go below.  Heck, if you're in water with lots of boats around, of course, one DOESN'T do that.

But how often are you actually running your boat when there are that many other boats around that you can't SAFELY go below for a short time?  Emphasis on SHORT.

I find it almost absolutely necessary to assure that all is well, that there are no unusual sounds (whether sailing or motoring), and return above-decks satisfied that things are as they should be. 

I do, regularly.

Let's get real.  :D

Ron's right.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Buddy Gold

1992 Cal 34 MK 1.5.   #1202
Universal 35 BC

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI doubt if anyone who singlehands their boat DOESN'T go below.  Heck, if you're in water with lots of boats around, of course, one DOESN'T do that.

I single hand a lot, and do go below at times.  I follow the Great Lakes Single Handed Racers guide, not sure about the exact title but they race for days, 100s of km, single handed.  What they recommend is a horizon check every 20 minutes.  When I sail a distance single handed I sail with a kitchen oven timer with a loud bell, set it to 20 minutes, and relax.  Timer goes off I do a quick horizon check then again with binoculars, take action or relax.  Worse thing that has happened was a plugging fuel filter, the RPM's were down, getting worse and 60 miles to go.  Set the sails (for comfort not to destination), set the timer and changed filters under sail.   Two timer bell rings and 40 minutes later filters changed (happy to say no spills) motor is running fine again. 
FWIW I think the oven timer is a great, even use it at times when not single handing.   :D

Jim 
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA