Should I document

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy Gold

The boat I bought is documented as well as titled and registered with the state. They want $448.00 for me to document the boat in my name and I think $78.00 a year to renew.  Is there value there that I am just not seeing?
1992 Cal 34 MK 1.5.   #1202
Universal 35 BC

Robert Mann

Buddy, check out:
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/Deputy-for-Operations-Policy-and-Capabilities-DCO-D/National-Vessel-Documentation-Center/

This is  the direct web site for the Coast Guard documentation web site.  The charges are reasonable if you handle directly.  If you use an "agency" the rip-off opportunities are great.
Caveat: I haven't transferred documentation in 15 years, so my memory is erased, but I do re-register directly each year.
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

rmjohns

Yes, that seems a little high. I am in the process of registering now with the CG and so far it's been under $100. I will say they are pretty slow on an ownership transfer.

Also I'd check on the titled with the state. I was under the impression you either got it documented with the CG or titled with the state, not both.  You would have to register it with the state regardless.

Rob
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

KWKloeber

Buddy

Who is "they"? that is feeding you that info?  Which "the state"?
Most states do not title doc'd vessels, but I can't speak to yours (because I don't KNOW yours!)

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

Buddy, Is the $448 to only document the vessel, or is other title work also being done?

When I purchased my 1987 MK1 it was registered with the state of California. The broker had a Documentation Service do a search and found that the boat had been previously documented. I was told you can be registered with the state or be a documented vessel with USCG, you can't be both. I chose to re-document the boat with USCG, and the old Documented Vessel Number was re-assigned to me. The Documentation Service Co charged ~$410 for everything involved with the sale (for this, lien searches, etc). I only annual renew directly with the USCG. Their yearly renewal fee is $26.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Buddy : I'd get ahold of the USCG documentation people in (the deep water port) of Falling Waters WV. 
I don't believe that your $448 cost is valid!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Buddy Gold on September 24, 2020, 01:45:02 PM
The boat I bought is documented as well as titled and registered with the state. They want $448.00 for me to document the boat in my name and I think $78.00 a year to renew.  Is there value there that I am just not seeing?

The $448 is a SCAM and has been documented (pi!) on this site and most other boating forums.

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9383.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Buddy Gold

Almost got me, the bastards.    https://usvesseldocumentation.center/.   private fee for service documentation company

Thanks to all, now I will find the proper place

Transfer/Exchange of Documentation
Price: $448.00
   I understand that my application will be processed in the order in which it is received by Vessel Documentation Online LLC,  private fee for service documentation company[ not owned or operated by any governmental agency. I understand that application and processing fees are non-refundable as per Vessel Documentation Online LLC's no refund policy and as per 46 CFR 67.500(e)

1992 Cal 34 MK 1.5.   #1202
Universal 35 BC

Paulus

Buddy,
I documented my boat when I bought it(about 20 years ago).  The cost was $80.00 and the renewal fee is $28.00 or $29.00 every year. The main reason for documenting the boat, I did not have to pay sales tax.  I do not know if this loop hole has been closed here in Michigan or not or even available in other states.  The Coast Guard makes the process easy and they are very friendly.

Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944