ST4000+ autopilot

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Mann

Can someone with a MK II boat, normal Edson wheel, standard Seaward panel, fitted with a Raymarine ST4000+ auto pilot tell me the following.

Is your actuation motor mounted at 4 o'clock or 10 o'clock on the wheel (looking at the wheel)?  Having replaced the belt in mine and adjusting the clutch it dawns on me the lever does not fully engage on the down stroke as it collides with the instrument panel.  Mine is in the 4 o'clock position.  If I turn the rear mount to the alternate position, 10 o'clock, the lever now lifts up to engage and goes through the full travel. 

If swapping positions is a solution I will need to find an alternate wiring method.

Any thoughts?
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

Jim Hardesty

Robert,

The PO installed the Raymarine wheel pilot at the 4 o'clock position and trimmed the lever.  It worked.   When I replaced with the new evolution, same wheel drive I believe, I put it at the 10 o'clock position.  It works. 
So,  Your choice trim the lever or reposition, you may need to adjust the power feed wire.  Both worked for me.
IMHO  the new evolution autopilot works so much better, if you are the least unhappy with the st4000 it's worth considering the upgrade.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Robert Mann

Thanks Jim I appreciate the input.  I think I will move the actuator to the 10 o'clock position and rewire it through the left Edson support tube.  Cutting the lever is an option, but it fits nicely as designed and catches the detent well.  I agree the system isn't optimal, but I only use it on the lake, here in Georgia, when I am sailing short handed and I need to raise and lower sails or grab the fenders.  I do believe for any more aggressive use it needs upgrading.

Cheers, Bob

Jim Hardesty

Bob,

I left the wire in the starboard tube and just pulled enough out to reach.   The way Shamrock was layed out only a small amount needed to be trimmed off the end of the lever, hardly noticeable.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Mick Laver

I assume your clock positions are looking forward, in which case mine is at 8 o'clock. I pull the lever up to engage and it's no where near the instrument panel. Or am I not understanding the problem? I can certainly attach a picture.

On another subject, my ST4000+ has been pretty good after adjusting the responsiveness setting. It's not particularly fond of following seas but I doubt many wheel APs are. What do you like better about the EVO100?
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Robert Mann

Mick, you understand exactly.  The way mine is assembled the actuator/motor is at 4 o'clock looking forward.  The rear plate, fixed behind the wheel has 2 slots, into one of which the anchor rod fits.  I can move the rear plate so the anchor rod fits into the one open slot and my motor moves to the 10 o'clock position, the same as Jim's layout.  As you correctly say the lever then engages upwards, versus mine which engages downwards and crashes into the instrument panel, not allowing it to travel over the detent  pin properly.  If yours is at 8 o'clock it might be that the 2 halves of the grey wheel mounts are drilled differently to mine.  I need to pull it apart this weekend to see if there is a mounting combination that allows a mount similar to yours.  Thanks for the thoughts.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteOn another subject, my ST4000+ has been pretty good after adjusting the responsiveness setting. It's not particularly fond of following seas but I doubt many wheel APs are. What do you like better about the EVO100?

Mick,
I single hand a lot, autopilot is used whenever it will hold a course.  With my st4000+ was about 70%.  I think mine was going bad, seemed to me as it was used more during a sail, it would often get worse.  The evolution is used more like 95%, and is quieter.  I'm well pleased with it.   My two cents would be if the older autopilot needs fixing, think hard about upgrading.  For me it worth it.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA