Hood Seafurl 705/810/915 LD

Previous topic - Next topic

frogdoc58

Hi all,
Does anyone know where I can get info on how to remove my Hood Seafurl?  Mine is damaged up top.  I need to bring it down to see if I can affect repairs.
I tried to Google it.  No luck.
Thanks in advance.

All the Best
Paul
O/B Windswept
Frogdoc

KWKloeber

What's your model- there's Hood manuals all over the iNet.
What's the issue?  "Down"?  Lower the sail and swivel?  What do you need to get to?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mdidomenico

it's been a couple years since i removed mine, but i don't recall it being difficult.  though a bit cumbersome even with my mast sitting on sawhorses.  i'll also add the hood support people are pretty good and responsive.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Ron Hill

Frog : You didn't mention your hull# or production year.  If you are a early C34 MK 1 1986-1990 you probably have a Hood 915 LD.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

I replaced the forestay a year ago.  I also had a damaged foil, the one with the drive hole at the bottom.
The mast was down anyway and that makes things easier.
If you are doing this with the mast up I don't think you can push the whole furler up enough to get to the turnbuckle, but I'm not sure.
loosen the clamp with a 3/16 allen then the you can slide the part with the continuous furling line down to get the rope out.  There is a stripper in there don't do this over water.
Slide the entire unit up to unscrew the turnbuckle. There is a bolt that goes through the top of the furler drive and into the first foil.
Once you back that off and remove the turnbuckle, the furler drive should slide off.
The foils have a plastic guide that goes on the forestay first then insert into the foil. 
I've had the boat 12 years and never knew I had no cotter pins in the forestay turnbuckle.... 
I also have the "manual" for my Hood 915 but it's fairly useless. 
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

LogoFreak

Let me know if you need parts, I just replaced mine with a harken unit. I have the 915 LD, complete in working order. I can drill out the rivets and take it all apart. Unsure about shipping though.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

scgunner

I've got the Hood 915 unit and I also replaced my forestay a while back also. But I did do mine with the mast up and in the water, it wasn't that difficult but you'll need at least two people to do the job. I rebuilt the hood 915 while it was down and we were awaiting the arrival of the new forestay. I got all replacement parts from hood direct. Dealing with them was a real pleasure, they were knowledgeable, very helpful, and not only expedited shipping but actually sent some parts no charge!
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

frogdoc58

Thanks to All for the help and advice.  I got my furler down.  I am having trouble getting parts for my 915.  The top bearing and rivets.  I have got some parts thru Hood, but I think they are having supplier troubles.  I know the material of the top bearing, so with a lathe, I'll just make my own.

Stay safe out there,

Paul & Judy O/B Windswept
Frogdoc

frogdoc58

Hi LOGO,
I guess I missed your post from last October.  You mentioned that you might have parts for the 915.  What I need is the top bearing which is located inside the top most foil.
I will buy it from you.  I live in the Pittsburgh area.  If you are within a 3 hour driving distance, I can come and get it.  Mailing the part would be easy as well.
My email is: frogdoc58@hotmail.com
Frogdoc