Lazy sheet gets frisky

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Laver

Yesterday after a very long stbd broad reach I jibed to head back to the barn. I then noticed that I had mis-fed the stbd jib sheet through through the genoa car. Rather than tack to take the load off the working stbd jib sheet I figured I could re-run it while under load.

Hah.

The stbd sheet got away from me (of course) and the the jib and both sheets started flailing as you might imagine. I was able to wrestle the stbd sheet, get it re-run through the car, and get things back to some semblance of normalcy. After a deep breath I happened to glance at the lazy sheet on the port side and was astounded to see that with all the thrashing around the wind had managed to tie this exquisite knot on the port stanchion just forward of the gate. I thought I'd share. Needless to say, I couldn't find it in Ashley. :D
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

KWKloeber

Mick  That's TOO funny. 
I have to admit it closely resembles my first attempt at a Turk's !!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

ewengstrom

I believe you can safely assume that's a classic "jib sheet whip knot".
Nicely done too....now do it again.  :shock:
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

scgunner

Lines on sailboats are amazing things, it's always funny how you can collect two separate lines in the cockpit sole and somehow they will magically tie themselves together.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273