Stemhead Removal

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

I can't tell from the pix. If the angle matched, what's keeping it from fitting more tightly against the bow?

More revealing pix?

Didn't you send the old one to match it (but reinforced)???
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

TortolaTim

Ken, yes I sent the old one to Garhauer for a template and they have the same angle when I laid them side by side. I brought both stems to the boat yesterday and it appears that the old one has a similar gap. I wonder if it just wasn't stuffed with sealant to fill the gap. I'm going back today and looking at it again and asking my rigger to take a look at it. I'll try to get some better pictures too.
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

TortolaTim

First picture is the original stem, next 2 are the new replacement.
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

WBev

I did not install mine myself, as it was part of the purchase agreement.  However, my notes from speaking with both Garhauer and the marina mechanic reflect there will be a difference because there is no load until it is installed.  I did get a call from an upset mechanic telling me the part had too much of a gap, but I did not record the difference.  I then received a call later in the day after the mechanic s/w Garhauer.  The part fit without issue, somehow.  A one inch gap sounds excessive. 
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

Ron Hill

Tim : From your pictures, my guess is that you need to fill the old mounting holes.  Then re-drill some new bow mounting holes when that stem plate is flush against the hull !! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788