Sailing limits

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Guys : As I recall - the earlier (at least thru 1988) C34s have a curved genoa car track and later C34s have a straight track.  If you have the curved track you may have to loosen up a few of the aft track bolts and lift the track up to slide the Garhauer track system on and install it.

No big deal - just a heads up!

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on October 29, 2020, 03:14:42 PM
Guys : As I recall - the earlier (at least thru 1988) C34s have a curved genoa car track and later C34s have a straight track.  If you have the curved track you may have to loosen up a few of the aft track bolts and lift the track up to slide the Garhauer track system on and install it.

No you don't have to lift the track.  All you have to do is remove the aft end track stop.  I removed both of mine and never bothered to replace them.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

IMO, It does add more "junk" to step/trip on in the side decks. For cruising, perhaps consider just moving the car manually, or using snatch blocks to another car position.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ted Pounds

Quote from: Stu Jackson on October 29, 2020, 03:41:27 PM
Quote from: Ron Hill on October 29, 2020, 03:14:42 PM

No you don't have to lift the track.  All you have to do is remove the aft end track stop.  I removed both of mine and never bothered to replace them.

I recall it as Ron said - I had to lift up the aft end of the track to get the cars on my '87.  I think because the track was recessed... 🤔

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Craig Illman

On my hull #1150, the track was recessed and you had to remove the aft three bolts. You'll appreciate the moveable cars in the Salish Sea with the constant changing wind direction as it weaves around the islands.
Are you on the waitlist at Anacortes Marina? Very nice folks there, they keep the place well tended.

Craig

waughoo

Craig,

I am presently on the list for shilshole.  Im not sure i want to have it up in Anacortes long term.  Right now I'm spending time getting everything working again.  The dry yard savings in "moorage" is very much appreciated during this period.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Lucas

For what it's worth, I have no tripping issues with the tracks on the side decks. A benefit of having good size decks!
In my limited experience, I've very glad to have these and use them regularly to get the best head sail trim.
Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

Noah

I wasn't referring to tripping on the tracks, more worried about tripping on the control lines and adjustable car system. May not be an issue, but I am so blind I trip on everything! 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Noah & Guys : I never have had a "tripping" problem with the Garhauer movable genoa car system because it is inboard (at least on the 1988s) so you normally walk from the cockpit forward on the outside of those lines. 

Yes, that track and the stops are recessed - at least on most MK1 C34s

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Yes, of course they are recessed from the non-skid deck.  But think about it: the tracks  have to be raised enough off the base of the recess for the cars to slide onto the track and then for the cars to move.  I simply removed the bolt holding the aft end track stop, slid the stop off, and then replaced the bolt as far down as it would go.  The cars slide on and off anytime I need them to (rare, but once was more than enough to make it worthwhile).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."