Can"t get swivel to raise on my Sparcraft (Charleston Spars) furling mast.

Previous topic - Next topic

dhagen

I took my main down for the winter with no problems.  I have a 2001 Catalina 34 MKII.  When I went to raise the halyard, which is attached to the swivel, to try to reduce the banging of the furling foil in the mast, I can't get it to fit in the track.  So it is stuck at the boom.  Any ideas as to what is wrong or how to fix it?

Jim Hardesty

I also have a 2001 with in-mast furling.  One of my least favorite things with it is the banging of the foil to the inside of the mast when the main sail is off.  The PO tied pipe foam to the halyard and raised that.  I didn't care for that, concern with the foam coming apart, made a series of blocks that fit the wide slot in the mast, tie the foil to them and raise them.  Only takes a few minutes.  I know Beneteau owners that keep the sail on all winter so they don't have to deal with the banging.
Back to your problem.  I've never had a problem with the swivel not going up easy.  I assume you tied a downhaul to the swivel where the sail attaches, so it's not hung-up there.  If you could add a picture it would help.
Sorry couldn't be more help,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

dhagen

The swivel is down at the boom level.  I just can't get it to fit into the track to be raised.  I can't see what is inside the swivel or feel if there is a tab that should fit into the track.  As to stopping the banging, I have put a sock around the the swivel and raised it to the spreaders.  That helps, but doesn't stop it completely.  That is what I was trying to do, but can't get the swivel to fit in the mast track to be raised.  They are taking the boat out this week.