CG required hull ID

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy Gold

During my survey it was brought to me attention that I needed a **Have a hull ID# fabricated and permanently attach to
the starboard hull side just aft of the Catalina log and
between the rub rail and the top strip below to satisfy
USCG requirements in effect beginning in 1972

Can anyone tell me if there is a place online to have there fabricated.....Thanks
1992 Cal 34 MK 1.5.   #1202
Universal 35 BC

Jim Hardesty

I see that your hull number is 1200.  I think your full hull ID is etched on the stern starboard side.  That's where Shamrock has it and most boats I've noticed.  I think your surveyor is mistaken.  Would make me wonder about his experience.  The only way I can think that the factory numbers are gone is if during a repair they were removed and not redone.  Look at other Catalina 34's don't think your will find one with a plate for the hull number there.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Buddy Gold on September 06, 2020, 06:40:51 AM
During my survey it was brought to me attention that I needed a **Have a hull ID# fabricated and permanently attach to
the starboard hull side just aft of the Catalina log and
between the rub rail and the top strip below to satisfy
USCG requirements in effect beginning in 1972

Can anyone tell me if there is a place online to have there fabricated.....Thanks

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on September 06, 2020, 07:57:25 AMI think your surveyor is mistaken.  Would make me wonder about his experience.  The only way I can think that the factory numbers are gone is if during a repair they were removed and not redone.  Look at other Catalina 34's don't think your will find one with a plate for the hull number there.
Jim

Buddy,

My "read" is that your surveyor used some "standard" language in his toolkit, and simply threw it against the wall to see if it would stick.

Jim is right.  ALL Catalinas have their hull numbers etched on the starboard side of the transom.  ALL OF THEM.  Ever since they made it required, IIRC after 1972.  I had a 1981 C22, and a 1981 C25, both had them, as does my 1986 C34.

I think there are some possibilities that could have happened:

1.  The surveyor didn't bother to look and gave you boilerplate language, meaning he's just lazy.

2.  Your boat suffered some damage in that area and when the fiberglass was restored they put gelcoat over the area and covered the number.

3.  Sometimes the number gets washed away because of over-aggressive cleaning by a PO.  It has happened.  Sometimes putting a light piece of paper over the area and rubbing with a pencil will allow it to show up.

Only other thing I can think of is:  Have YOU looked for it?

Your ownership paperwork, i.e., state registration or CG documentation, should have that number on it.  If it doesn't you most likely couldn't have gotten registered or documented.

Good luck.  Please let us know what you learn.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Buddy

If you use the search box on the main page you'll find tons of useful info on just about all subjects. There's approximately one zillion posts about the HIN, but to summarize: (I just added the full text of the reg on the wiki.  https://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Hull_Number_Identification_and_Meaning )

The HIN CAN be on the side but *technically* only when there is no place to put it on a transom, stbd side. If it's on the side I doubt any surveyor would say it has to be moved or duplicated on the transom. But sometimes surveyors and vessel examiners like to show their muscle and apply their own interpretation to things.

If the HIN is on a plate, it MUST be "permanent" (so removing or altering it is obvious.)  It's difficult to imagine a plate that couldn't be removed and covered with another plate having an altered HIN.

If the HIN is not there, embossed on the gel coat, you can etch it in with a hand engraver, or "enhance" one that's there but worn.  CTY embossed in the HIN before the boat left the factory. 
Do you know her full HIN?  It needs to be at least 1/4" tall.

In a loosely related note, is she documented - if so is the Official Number on her correctly?

-ken

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Buddy : Drop your boarding ladder and step down a rung or two.
Look in the upper right side (starboard) of the transom just under the rub rail and you'll see your hull # scribed into the gelcoat.   :thumb:

I'm somewhat surprised that your "survivor"?? didn't check HIN against the boats registration!!  Usually the 1st step in a survey!!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Buddy,
Here is what Shamrock has.  Is on starboard side aft.   It shows hand etched hull numbers.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

OK guys you've got me both interested and confused, is it on the rear side of the boat(as Jim's appears to be)or is it on the transom as suggested by Stu and Ron? And was placement the same on both Mk I and Mk II? I think I'll go down to my boat today and take a look, if anybody else is interested I'll post what I find.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Dave Spencer

Mine is on the starboard aft just as Jim's is.  Possibly in a different place on older boats.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ron Hill

Guys : The HIN is on the same place on all C34s!!

On the MK 1s it is also under the plate by the transom step on inside of the gunwale.  It was marking the "top half" on the boat while the transom numbering is marking the "lower half" of that C34 MK 1.

I'm sure that on the MKII there is also a numbering of the "top half".  Just like the tape on the mast with the HIN on it!!

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Additionally Gerry D told me that the factory embossed the HIN into the gel coat, not hand engraved as the photo shows.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

derekb

Esprit is an early Mark I, she has two ID locations.

On the transom (starboard side, just below the rub-rail) there is a stamped/moulded HIN, as follows:

And on the inside of the stern gunwale (just above the lazarette hatch and below the teak step) there is a plate attached. This must have had some printed information, which has long since disappeared. Remaining are some stamped letters "C-34" and "29", as follows:

Derek Buckmaster
Esprit, 1986 C34 Mark I #29. Fin keel, Universal M25.
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Noah

Here is another spot to look. On my 1990 MK I, I found this tag glassed-over under the V-berth on the forward face of the hanging locker bulkhead.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Derek - That plate is the safety compliance label required by the USCG.  Displaying the HIN, passenger capacity, etc, on it is optional.

(1) The name and address of the manufacturer or private label merchandiser who certifies that the boat or item of associated equipment complies with the standards prescribed in Part 183 of this subchapter; and
(2) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, the words:
(i) "This (insert 'Boat' or 'Equipment') Complies With U.S. Coast Guard Safety Standards In Effect On (insert date of certification as prescribed in paragraph (b) of this section)"; or
(ii) If the item being certified is a boat, the label may show the words, "This Boat Complies With U.S. Coast Guard Safety Standards In Effect On The Date of Certification."

Noah - That's the required duplicate (incorrectly so-called "hidden") hull number.

(b) The duplicate hull identification number must be affixed in an unexposed location on the interior of the boat or beneath a fitting or item of hardware.

Buddy - Besides engraving (if yours is worn off) here's one option to apply a HIN (glue on w/ epoxy, 5200, etc. to meet requirements.)
https://www.amazon.com/Engraved-Identification-Aluminum-engraving-included/dp/B07DS8DDM4

scgunner

My boat HIN is the same as Derek's, just under the rub rail on the starboard side of the transom. I also have that S/S plate on the transom
inside the cockpit, there's nothing behind the plate but fiberglass, but stamped on the plate is "C34" and "273". When I first got the boat there was some light blue silk screened lettering on the plate which probably said something like Catalina Yachts, etc.. Like Derek's my blue lettering is long gone.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273