Repowering options for mark 1's

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcomeau

So, I haven't found any recent posts on repowering. What engines have been used? I see some successes with beta 25, any others?
Thanks !
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Ron Hill

Pierre : Look in the Mainsheet tech note and you'll find an article I wrote on repowering with a M25XPB engine (26HP 3 cylinder)

You haven't mentioned your hull # but I doubt that you can fit a 4 cylinder engine in your present engine compartment unless you already have one in there!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

scgunner

Pierre,

I'm curious as to why you want to repower?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

There's always the XPB if you want to stick with Westerbeke but (opinion) Beta Marine is a better company.  I can give you a contact who has repowered with Beta if you want an opinion (PM me.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

pjcomeau

Ron, 1988 #687 was in my signature/profile info. I had not realized that the XPB was still available. Thanks.

As for question on why re-powering, well that is a long story - summary m25xp has been giving me problem since early days of purchase, eventually failed, poor choice on my part to do rebuild, now rebuild as failed. Not trying again, so looking at what options are out there for new.

-PC
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Ron Hill

Pierre : That's what happened to me. After I pulled the original engine for repairs the third time - I said NO MORE!! It had over 5000 hrs and had done a great job and I deserved a new power plant.  Went with Universal again because it would fit and I didn't want to screw with a new engine instrument panel.
Also I change the engine wiring to match the simpler wiring of the boat, rather than change the boat to match the engine. Let me know if you are interested in doing the same and I can guide you thru it!  Everything worked out great.   

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

girmann

I believe that the M25XPB is the Kubota D1005 block. This is the same block that Beta uses for their Beta-28.
Proud owner of hull #1488

Ron Hill

girm : You are correct.  It's the D1005 ES01 Kubota engine block.  Same engine used in the Kubota F2400 and F2560 "tractors"!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Why go to Universal with their questionable service over BETA which gets rave reviews for service & design especially if the same block is used?  BETA will setup with mount locations for your boat.  Only downside to BETA may be the exhaust hose size, which sometimes they want larger than our OEM 1 5/8", with muffler implications.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scgunner

Pierre and Ron,

I'm interested in these failed rebuilds, it sounds like between the two of you your motors were rebuilt at least 2 or 3 times without positive results. My questions are; what failed initially? did you rebuild yourself or have it done? after rebuild(s)what failed, same thing or something else? if done by a "professional" did he stand by his work? Sorry guys I know that's a lot of questions but it does have a bearing when it comes to the decision to rebuild or repower.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273