Ice Box Hinge

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Krawford

I have a friend with a new C34 and wants to put a hinge on the ice box lid.  Has anyone done this?  The solid surface lid seems to present several problems.
What type of screws did you use?  How about a support arm to hold it open?

Thanks in advance.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Stu Jackson

Hinges

Ken

Sure, it's easy, just get two hinges and mount them on the "back" starboard edge.  The screws don't have to be very long.  We used a medium "hatch holder" spring type of support arm inside the box (also used these for the engine cover and the nav station).

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Our's is also hinged.  One of the previous owners did it.  They used black plastic hinges that have a spring loaded pin.  This allows the door to be removed easily if desired.  We have a stainless hook attached to the shelf's bottom wood trim piece that catches the pull ring to hold the door in the up/open position. My guess is that the hinges are RV related, haven't seen them before in hardware/marine stores.  Unobservant me, I thought all the iceboxes were made this way.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

amoreau

Hi,  We used the stainless hinges.  I had to pre-drill the holes because that counter top chips very easily.  We also use a spring to hold the door open.  But with the spring you have to be careful.  One slight touch by accident and down comes the door.
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

Gene Regan

Dear Ken,
We have 1988 #713 and the po installed piano hinge and spring hatck keeper in the opening and it works great and you dont see the hinge . He talked about it in the tech notes see 1993 vol 11 #1 Its under "Nonsense" improvements..
Works for us
Gene Regan
Freedom #713

gene regan

rxc

I just mounted a small hook-like piece of metal (no points - just a squared-off hook) on the face of the cabinet above the fridge/stove.  The ring on the lid just catches the hook, and the lid stays open so you can get into it.  Also, if you want to remove the entire lid, you don't have to deal with hinges.  The way the lid fits into the grove on top of the countertop, you don't need hinges when you install a hook like this.

Let me note, though, that this is a C34 Mk I, and I don't know if it would work on a Mk II.  You would have to check the geometry.

(Edited to include Mk I vs Mk II discussion)

Ralph Caruso
s/v "On y va"  C34#777 Ches.Bay/Magothy

Ken Krawford

It looks like all of you who replied (Thank You!) except Al & Candy have the old Formica style counter top (and ice box lid).  My concern was drilling and screwing into the Corian type counter top that is on the Mk II.  I was particularly concerned about cracking the lid or counter and what type of screws to use.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

amoreau

Hi Ken,  I tried to use a fine thread stainless screws.  It depends on how close to thread size your pre-drilled hole is.  I was close and still got a little chip on top.  It's hidden by the hinge so no damage done.
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

hdevera

I'm relieved to hear that I'm not the only one who has a problem with cracking whenever I try to screw in something into the corian or fiberglass.  Although not an answer, I agree that if you choose the right hinge, it will be covered.

Mark Wey

Some ideas!!

There are ways to prevent cracking.
1) Use a very sharp drill bit (new).
2) Use a very high speed on the drill and proceed very slowly.
3) Put a small cover over the area to be drilled. That is either masking tape or for the bigger holes I have had success with clear nail polish. This does work but don't forget steps one and two.

Even though the cracking will be covered by the hinge It should still be sealed because moisture (It is a counter top) will be the enviroment that will dominate. Along with this moisture comes delamination, Mould and a great enviroment for ecoli.

A few thoughts.

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36