Might finally be joining you!

Previous topic - Next topic

girmann

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 07, 2020, 02:47:15 PM
The mold for the C34 burned sometime around 1994? and I assume that Catalina resumed their numbering from the MK I's built to the new MKII !?!

Ron,

Wait. What???
Proud owner of hull #1488

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Stu Jackson on September 05, 2020, 04:30:58 PM
Quote from: scgunner on September 05, 2020, 07:52:56 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BTW, 700 boats sounds like a lot to me.

There were 1,801 Catalina 34s made.  The change over to the Mark IIs began around the mid-1100 hull numbers.  Guess ya could do the math?  :D

I was wrong.  The tech wiki has the first Mark II as hull #1295.

https://c34.org/wikiwp/?rdp_we_resource=http%3A%2F%2Fc34.org%2Fwiki%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3DEvolution_of_the_Catalina_34
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scgunner

Thanks for the info Ron, but while interesting I'm not really interested in exact numbers. Weather it's 500 or 700 that's still a lot of boats, there are seven on my dock alone. My original point to girmann was that if failing to close the deal on this one that there is generally a good selection of boats on the market at any given time due to the large number of hulls produced.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

grm : I personally like the larger Vberth of the MK I.   Especially when you consider that you spend more than 50% of your time on the boat in a berth - that's why the MK I layout is my #1 choice!!     8)

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Breakin Away

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 08, 2020, 01:41:18 PM
grm : I personally like the larger Vberth of the MK I.   Especially when you consider that you spend more than 50% of your time on the boat in a berth - that's why the MK I layout is my #1 choice!!     8)
I didn't look at many C34s before selecting the one that we bought, so I haven't seen the interior of a MkI. In what way is its V-berth larger? Sailboatdata.com seems to show the exact same size for both layouts.

C34

C34MkII

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Breakin Away on September 08, 2020, 02:24:15 PM
I didn't look at many C34s before selecting the one that we bought, so I haven't seen the interior of a MkI. In what way is its V-berth larger? Sailboatdata.com seems to show the exact same size for both layouts.

Rick, you're right.  The only difference is that the 2 cabinets on the Mark IIs are higher than on the Mark I boats, so there is nowhere to place books and other stuff when you're in the berth.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Rortega46

FYI, Dunn Wish'In is listed in the Owner Directory of Sailboatowners.com, but the registered owner had no posts on that website.  Also, C34IA is infinitely more informative and helpful than Sailboatowners.com
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Breakin Away

Quote from: Stu Jackson on September 08, 2020, 04:30:44 PM
Rick, you're right.  The only difference is that the 2 cabinets on the Mark IIs are higher than on the Mark I boats, so there is nowhere to place books and other stuff when you're in the berth.
Thanks for clarifying. I hadn't noticed a problem. I guess I'll have to move all my books and other stuff. 😜

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Breakin Away on September 08, 2020, 06:32:20 PM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on September 08, 2020, 04:30:44 PM
Thanks for clarifying. I hadn't noticed a problem. I guess I'll have to move all my books and other stuff. 😜

I was only pointing out the differences that I have personally seen.  I'm sure you can use your boat to your maximum benefit. :D It's just a minor difference.  Perhaps you'll find a chance to see one of our old boats for yourself.  :D

girmann

Quote from: Rortega46 on September 08, 2020, 04:59:26 PM
FYI, Dunn Wish'In is listed in the Owner Directory of Sailboatowners.com, but the registered owner had no posts on that website.  Also, C34IA is infinitely more informative and helpful than Sailboatowners.com

Thanks Randy!
Proud owner of hull #1488

scgunner

A totally unscientific observation, my neighbor with a Mk II graciously allowed me to tour his boat, it was beautiful but it seemed slightly smaller and with less freeboard that may or may not be true.

BTW, I recently went aboard a friend's new C380, Oh My Gosh! that thing was cavernous!
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273