Might finally be joining you!

Previous topic - Next topic

girmann

Just made an offer on a 2000 C34 MkII. So nervous and so excited. Can't wait to hear back from the seller. This wait is agonizing!
Proud owner of hull #1488

scgunner

I hope you get your boat, but if you don't get that one relax it's not the end of the world, there are a lot of them out there.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jim Lucas

Being a reasonably new 34 MKII owner, I can relate to that excitement so fingers crossed for you!
Not sure about "lots of them out there"!
But don't let the excitement cloud your vision. Make sure to have it surveyed and checkout the "Critical upgrades" list on this site. Great reference for what's been done and what needs to be done.
Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

girmann

Quote from: Jim Lucas on September 04, 2020, 08:38:10 AM
But don't let the excitement cloud your vision. Make sure to have it surveyed and checkout the "Critical upgrades" list on this site. Great reference for what's been done and what needs to be done.

Too late! People even said "Make sure you check out the critical upgrades" and I didn't. There's so much right with this boat that I let it cloud my judgement. It's in great condition inside and out. However there will be a survey and sea trial, so that will give me a chance to calm down and check it out. Still no response...

We saw another Mk.II, but it wasn't in as good condition and was initially priced higher. And that's about all there is where I am (unless I want to get something shipped)

Ron Hill

grm : There are about 1300 MKI and about 600 MkII C34s out there.  Just be patient!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Breakin Away

Quote from: girmann on September 04, 2020, 08:47:45 AM
Quote from: Jim Lucas on September 04, 2020, 08:38:10 AM

Too late! People even said "Make sure you check out the critical upgrades" and I didn't. There's so much right with this boat that I let it cloud my judgement...
I hope you get the boat. It's a great design.

Don't let the critical upgrades scare you too much. Many (but not all) of the critical issues were fixed by 2000 model year. It can be a little confusing because some of the warnings in big red letters don't actually apply to many of the later model boats.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Jim Hardesty

QuoteDon't let the critical upgrades scare you too much. Many (but not all) of the critical issues were fixed by 2000 model year. It can be a little confusing because some of the warnings in big red letters don't actually apply to many of the later model boats.

That's how I found Shamrock to be.  Hopefully the previous owner kept a maintenance log and you can just check off as done.  The only critical one that comes to mind that may take some effort to check is a bushing for the raw water pump shaft.   FWIW  Shamrocks was done.
It's good to check them all for yourself anything you are not sure about, just ask here.
Hope all works well.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

Girmann,

Right now you've got a lot of balls in the air so I wouldn't worry to much about the critical upgrades at this point. Once you take possession you'll have time to check for and remedy ant CUs that haven't already been addressed. Along with the CUs you're going to have a long, long list of "Things To Do" to make this boat your own.

BTW, 700 boats sounds like a lot to me.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scgunner on September 05, 2020, 07:52:56 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BTW, 700 boats sounds like a lot to me.

There were 1,801 Catalina 34s made.  The change over to the Mark IIs began around the mid-1100 hull numbers.  Guess ya could do the math?  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scgunner

Didn't do the math, I just took Ron at his word since he seems to be a pretty knowledgeable guy. I read an article a while back about Bill Lee of Santa Cruz Yachts fame, it said he built 10 SC40s, that doesn't seem like very many boats to me.

girmann

Well, they accepted our offer with a closing on the 28th. Now to schedule the survey, fill out the paperwork, and write the check...

BTW - it looks like this is hull #1488. "Dun Wish'n". I don't see a lot of posts from any of the owners. Anyone know anything about this hull?

scgunner

I've never heard of #1488, "Dun Wish'n" but that doesn't really mean anything, on my dock there are four C34 Mk 1s in a row between my boat and the shore. None of those guys are C34 IA members nor do they seem to have any interest in becoming members. All of their boats however are very well taken care of.

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

scgunner

Alamitos Bay Marina, Long Beach, CA.

Ron Hill

Kevin : If you need an EXACT number I believe there were 1294 MK I C34 hulls built and 507 MK II C34 hulls built.
I went onboard hull #1295 at the Atlantic City SailExpo Boat Show to look at it as the 1st MK II C34.

The mold for the C34 burned sometime around 1994? and I assume that Catalina resumed their numbering from the MK I's built to the new MKII !?!

Hope this helps,  A thought
Ron, Apache #788