Sunshade

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

During the 2018 GLCC rendezvous I saw a Catalina 320 with an excellent sunshade.  Sorry to say I don't remember the names to give credit due.  I finely got around to sketching up a design and having my take on their idea made up.  I'm very happy with the results.  As the pictures show it zips to the existing bimini and lays on the boom.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

rmjohns

Jim, that looks great.. What kind of fabric did you use for this?
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

Geoffreykwright

Jim - that looks amazing.  I've been thinking about doing this for some time.  Are there 'battens' going horizontally across the shade to give it some shape?   :clap
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Jim Hardesty

QuoteAre there 'battens' going horizontally across the shade to give it some shape?

Yes, there are 4 made with 1/2 pvc pipe, for now.  I did use it for a weekend with only 2 battens over the dodger, worked well like that.  The sunshade is a work in progress.  May go to regular batten material and am just using clothesline to tie it up till I make up something more ship-like.  The material is weather-something I picked it out at the canvas shop.  Debated some over that or the blue Sunbrella, but I think the light colored material looks better.   It folds up to a little larger than a basket ball and the battens fit in the boom, don't know if that would work with a standard main, Shamrock is in-mast furling.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Jim : APACHE has a similar sun cover.  It was made by Defender out of a lighter weight white Dacron sail cloth.  It has 3 "stiffeners" that are telescopic aluminum poles that fit into the fwd, mid and aft sleeves of the cover.  It goes from the mast back to mid Bimini.  White is the way to go for a sunshade while you're on the boat. 
Great to get out of the hot sun!!   :clap

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Jim

>>> 1/2 pvc pipe, for now<<<

If that's too flexible you could use schedule 80 pvc, much stiffer and exactly the same OD. It's a law.
Do you have couplings on the pvc for easier storage?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

Another sunshade option that the PO had made. Sunbrella fabric no stiffeners. Rolls up to store below when not in use.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Jon : Apache also has a sun cover when we are NOT on the boat - similar to yours.  it is light gray and made out of a material called Oddesy.
Helps to keep the interior of the boat about 15 degrees cooler than the ambient outside temperature!!

Look in the Mainsheet tech notes as I wrote an article and you'll see a picture of my Summer and Winter covers!!
Ron, Apache #788

kh3412

Jim that looks fantastic
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618