Shore power electrical shock

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

One way you might check some more is to use a contactless tester (available at big boxes or online) - Southwire is the brand I have.  You hold it near a hot source and there's a visual/audible warning.  You don't torch anything energized because there is no metal probe like on a continuity tester, just a plastic cap.  Have the marina test the power stanchion for polarity, or plug in a tester to a straight blade adapter.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mark_53

Do you know anyone who would collect a large sum of money upon your demise?  Since both cleat and stanchion have no electrical connection, I don't see how that could happen unless deliberate.

scgunner

Pbyrne,

If it was my problem I think I'd go the other way, with the shore power disconnected, I go inside and check the stanchion mounting bolts, they should be bolted to your fiberglass deck with nothing touching them. It looks like that stanchion has vent pipe for a tank(water or waste)but that shouldn't be your problem, it's hard to run an electrical charge through a rubber hose.

I had a similar problem which could be causing yours. Half of my interior lights suddenly stopped working, Catalina runs a wiring harness around the boat up under the deck where the stanchions are bolted in, I found the hot wire clamped under a stanchion bolt washer which grounded the wire. As soon as I released it the lights came on. I'd look for something like that, it's got to have been inadvertently connected to something.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Gregory M

Just saw that video about galvanic isolators and thought that may be related to your situation. Please, watch entire video, especially 13 min 42sec.(part)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPYooeuio_Q
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

britinusa

Agreed with above - disconnect the power!

Almost certainly there's a connection below deck to the stanchion. Start there with mk1 eyeballs.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ken Krawford

Great video(s) by Jeff Cote from Pacific Yacht Systems.  After watching the one on galvanic isolators linked above, I'm working my way through the 6 part Marine Electrical Basics series.  Jeff does a great job.  Thanks for the link and suggestion.
Quote from: Gregory M on September 13, 2020, 06:37:28 PM
Just saw that video about galvanic isolators and thought that may be related to your situation. Please, watch entire video, especially 13 min 42sec.(part)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPYooeuio_Q
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B