Standing rigging

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisOB

I am going to do the rig soon, I have recently relocated to New Orleans so I'll be using a rigger I have never dealt with (tbd). There are lots of boats and even a Quantum loft here, so I am not worried about quality.  I am however wondering if anyone has a ballpark figure for a full standing rig replacement (parts+labor).  1986 keel stepped tall rig.  I haven't decided about the furler yet.  I still have the hood continuous and darn it I love that thick line.  But I guess it would make sense to get a new one.  So I guess what I'm looking for is cost of rig replacement for everything besides forestay and furler as that can vary a lot and the forestay is usually done with the furler.
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247

NewToTheRoad

I did mine last year.  Materials, excluding forestay, were $1,500.  I brought my old to Rigging Only in Fairhaven, MA and they made a new set from the originals.  They will ship as well.  Mine was an '88 std rig so yours would be minimally more, perhaps 10%.

Cost me $600 in labor and crane time to pull and then reinstall the rig.  I redid the wiring, lighting, and masthead sheaves when the rig was down.   I then paid the marina riggers roughly $500 to position and block the mast, tune the rig, and pin the turnbuckles.  I tried but was not confident enough to do myself and could not center the mast.

I know this might not be the exact answer you were looking for but perhaps another option.
Lori & Bryan
1988 C34, M25XP, Std Rig, Fin Keel - Hull # 697
Portsmouth, RI

Roc

Hi guys
Out of curiosity, it you bring your old rigging to be duplicated, those stays have elongated due to stretching over the years.  I know it would be small, but the new rigging will be measured by the old stretched out wires.  Shouldn't the new rigging be made by the "spec" from the factory??
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Roc,  my experience is that the turnbuckles, when the rigging is properly sized, should be at the mid-point of their adjustment range.  If so, this should be more than enough room for adjustment for any slight stretch or even major temperature swings.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : That 1:19 wire does NOT stretch.  What happens is that the individual wire-lays get a bit tighter lay.  As Stu mentioned when you replace stays the rigger will use the old stay length and cut the new stay wire with in 1/2" of the old stay length. Then use the new turnbuckles to adjust.
Like I said before, I got the agreement with my replacement rigger that after replacement I would sail for a month and then come back to re-tune the rigging!!

Also I kept the old stays and labeled them.  That way if I ever catch a "snag (broker wire)" on the new stays I can just replace it with the old spare while the new one was being made.  No loss of sailing time!!  :D

FYI, at one time I thought of using the old 1/4" stays as replacements for life lines, but the swedged fitting will NOT go thru the top/mid stanchion holes!!  :cry4`

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Thanks Stu and Ron, makes sense... 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

ChrisOB

Thank you all for the helpful info.  I'll report back once I get it done, but that may not be for a couple months. 
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247

rmjohns

When I did my last boat, the only wire that showed any visual sign of wear was on the forestay under the furler. One of the strands had broken about 1/2 way up the wire and had started to unravel. I have no idea why that 1 particular strand had come lose but I never would have seen had I not taken the furler apart.
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC