Rewiring the Main Electrical Panel - do you have pics?

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

I've reached the stage where I can no longer relax knowing that the electrical panel wiring is such a nightmare on Eximius.

I'm planning a complete rewire of the circuit breaker panel and checking each wire to it's destination for quality - many of them have several butt joints and multi color changes as well as wire sizes.

So I'm looking for ideas on how to make it look nice as well as be reliable.

One thing I'm thinking of is to remove the hinge that holds the circuit breaker panel in place so that it can be pulled away from the 'hole'. That would improve access to the 'hole'. Looking at cleaning up the bulkhead and installing terminal blocks for all the inbound wiring and then run looms from the terminal blocks to the panel.

Just wondering what the inside of the hole looks like on other boats. Got any pics?

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

ewengstrom

I'm going to follow this thread with interest!!!
Since purchasing Ohana last year I've been behind the main panel several times correcting some minor issues....but the more I look back there I realize I also realize it's a 32 year old hodge-podge of problems waiting to happen. My first issue is access, the original panel fits pretty tightly below the nav shelf fiddle above and nav table below. I'd LIKE to put the panel itself on some sort of hinged frame (rather than the 6 screws that hold it to the fiberglass bulkhead).
The arrangement I envision would hinge down for quick access but also be removable for more in depth work. Does anybody have anything like this on their boat that they could share pics of too?
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

britinusa

Eric, you grasp my situation.

When the panel is leant down on the hinge, access to the hole is nearly impossible, and the thought of trying to clean up using terminal strips or Din rail system is painful.

Terminal strips are simple and elegant, Din rail system is a little more complex but easier to wire simply because there's no need for terminal ends to each wire,they are just clamped into the Din terminals.

My thoughts are to remove each wire from the panel one at a time labeling them as I go. Then remove the panel completely and rework it's attachment method. Something that would allow it to be pulled away from the framework. It would require that the looms from the panel to the terminals would need to be long enough to pull the panel out once the wiring is reattached.

Working on the concept.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

dfloeter

I don't know about the Mark 1 panels, but the Mark 2 panel framework can be completely loosened and dropped forward almost horizontally giving much better access than through the smallish hole.  Is this possible with the earlier models?
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

ewengstrom

Dietrich,
The Mk1 (at least mine anyway) has no framework or hinge at all. Paul mentions a hinge on his panel and I'm guessing a PO installed one on his boat.  The panel on our boat is screwed directly with 6 screws to the fiberglass bulkhead making its removal for maintenance or even minor inspection a bit of a chore. You have to use a screwdriver just to look back there.
Normally I'd just create a frame and attach the panel to it and then hinge the frame...but there isn't even 1/8" of room on top or bottom of the panel...it's a tight fit. I'm just wondering how or if others addressed this on the MK1's.
I do also like Paul's idea for the wire connections, that warrants looking into.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

britinusa

Here's a google draw imagine sketch.

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

britinusa

Here's an (untidy) pic of our Electrical panel by the Nav Table.
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Jim Lucas

I'm also interested in this thread. I have planned to do the same full re-wire this winter. I've updated most of the electrical on Calypso but have only been tidying up as I replaced each component. Now that I'm pretty much done with the new batteries and electronics, cleaning up and updating behind the panel is the next step.
I'm not so electrically gifted as others so I do the bigger work and enlist professional help in the finer details.
Looking forward to how others tackle this.
Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

Stu Jackson

Am I correct ins figuring that each of you has already visited the tech wiki pages with the great contributions of those who have done just that?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

britinusa

I haven't on this issue. I'll  take a look but please post any links that you think are appropriate.

Thanks Stu.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Dave Spencer

Paul,
Jon W did a wonderful upgrade to his entire electrical system and documented it well here:
https://c34.org/wikiwp/?rdp_we_resource=http%3A%2F%2Fc34.org%2Fwiki%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3D1987_MK_1_Catalina_34_Electrical_System_Upgrade
The rat's nest behind my panel doesn't look quite as bad as Jon's "before" pictures (pics 12 & 13 IIRC) but not nearly as good as his finished product.
Keep us posted on your plans and progress (and setbacks... no doubt there'll be a few)

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario