Fresh water pipe replacement on a mkii

Previous topic - Next topic

rmjohns

Has anyone replaced the freshwater pipes from the galley sink back to the head and stern shower on a Mkii?  I have a 1998 and the current clear tubing has gotten sticky so time for replacement.  In my work to pull the shower sump hose, it would appear that the fresh water pipes were fiberglassed to the bottom of the floorboard in the galley prior to construction.  Do people just abandon those tubes and pull new ones?  I haven't tried yet, so maybe they just pull through?

Any tips on pulling new hose through the boat? Start under the sink and feed back to the head or vice versa?

Thanks
Rob.
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

Geoffreykwright

Never had to do it, but if I did sink to head and back is one way.  I might be inclined to go from the sink thru the back of the bilge - past the holding tank following the sanitary tube (behind the head) and then along the port side of the boat (under the cockpit locker) assuming your 1998 layout is the same as my 2000.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

rmjohns

That sounds like a better idea than trying to go under the galley floor as there is pretty good access all the way.
Rob

New Bern, NC

glennd3

Any thought of connecting to the head sink hoses. Might be easier.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

rmjohns

Yes, I am debating if I take the run to the stern shower from the head sink like Catalina did or all the way back to the pump under the galley sink. I have to replace the line from the pump to the head sink regardless, so just a case of if I run back 2 (hot/cold) lines from the pump or 4.  I kind of like the idea of a manifold under the sink, so I'm leaning that way but it will depend on how difficult it is to pull the pipes.

Thanks
Rob.
Rob

New Bern, NC

Ron Hill

Rob : I suspect that the water hoses may have been installed, before the white paint over the fiberglass, was completely dry??  I doubt if they were not fiber-glassed in place.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

rmjohns

Just for documentation, I did pull the water pipes yesterday. What I thought was the water pipes fiberglassed under the galley floorboards where in fact PVC pipes fiberglassed under the galley floor and the water pipes were inside those PVC pies. There were actually 3 of them that I saw, 1 for hot, 1 cold and 1 that looked like the negative battery cable.  I removed the sump pump and the board under that and then cut an access channel in the floorboard under that board to let me access where the hoses go into the PVC pipes. Other than a lot of bending into tight spaces, it wasn't too bad.
Rob

New Bern, NC