An Interesting Story in MAINSHEET

Previous topic - Next topic

scgunner

The topic was right of way and rules of the road. There is a very impressive picture of a power boat sitting atop a really nice sailboat. Now while I consider myself reasonably well versed in the rules of the road, I wouldn't call myself an expert, but it seems the story missed the number one rule(at least for me), DON'T LET ANYONE HIT YOUR F**KING BOAT!

When I'm faced with an undesirable boat to boat interface I don't care who has the right of way or weather it's power or sail or whatever I'm not going to let anyone hit my boat. In that situation I start with the assumption the other boater has no clue about the right of way or is simply inattentive.

Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jim Lucas

I agree. Its a big ocean and I also assume the on-coming boater could be "asleep at the wheel" in more than one way.
Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

Oldlaxer1

Technically no one has "the right of way".  One boat is the stand on vessel (maintain course and heading) and one boat is the give-way vessel. However, if collision is imminent (as in the photo), both boats are to take evasive action to avoid it.  The argument in this case is whether the sailboat maintained a watch.  If they saw the power boat they should have turned.  If they did not, they were not keeping an active watch.  Courts will most likely place "some" blame on the sailboat even though that seems counter-intuitive.   Being alert is the only right answer these days!   
John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Kevin

I cringed when I read that article; from a (ret) coastie no less.

the Stand On vessel [MAY???] continue on course.  Oh really?

The Stand On vessel (unless encumbered by doing to so) is REQUIRED to continue course, no "may" option -- unless other action is necessary to avoid a collision.

If not, and there's a collision solely due to the SOV not maintaining course while the GWV properly altered course, then the SOV is at fault.  How many times have I seen an overtaken driver not look behind before suddenly veering off course onto another heading.

One could only imagine the mayhem if COLREGS allowed "MAY" options.   
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

I agree with Ken.  That article should never have been published.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

scgunner

Stu,

I thought the article contained some good information, however it seemed to me it implied that as long as you have the right of way you've got nothing to worry about, avoiding a collision is the other guys problem. I'm thinking that's what the guy in the sailboat was thinking shortly before he discovered a power boat on top of his boat.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scgunner on August 25, 2020, 07:36:15 AM
Stu,

...implied that as long as you have the right of way you've got nothing to worry about, ...

And that phrase, in and of itself, is EXACTLY the entire problem with that dumb article, including it's bloody title.

Perpetuating stupidity is not helpful.

Except for Inland Regs, on rivers, there is no phrase "right of way" on the water.

scgunner

Rules of the road and right of way are great as long as the converging parties recognize them and are aware of each other. When in doubt I always try to make my intentions  known to the other party early with a sharp course change. I've always thought it was better to give way than to have "I had the right of way" on my tombstone.

KWKloeber

Quote from: scgunner on August 25, 2020, 07:36:15 AM

I thought the article contained some good information...

avoiding a collision is the other guys problem....

I'm thinking that's what the guy in the sailboat was thinking....

... It did (some) but the entire thing was poorly presented (at best.)  What the hell he used a two-PB example in Mainsheet is a little weird and should be the 1st clue.

... Not SO - Even if one uses the improper term R.O.W., the SOV must maintain course UNTIL if/when necessary it's required to take proper and decisive action (no "may") to avoid a collision.
" When, from any cause, the vessel required to keep her course and speed finds herself so close that collision cannot be avoided by the action of the give-way vessel alone, she shall take such action as will best aid to avoid collision."
Then of course  "proper watch" is a question  ..  if a SOV had a proper watch could a collision have been be avoided early on?  At what point did the SOV realize there would be a collision -- surely before the PB was on its gunnel?

... Not necessarily, things very often go bad in a half-instant.  The sailor may have been yelling at the top of his/her lungs with arms waving like a beast, but the GWV had just taken off, not on plane w/ bow high in the air, operator answering a VFH call or whatever.  Immediately heading out from a marina or mooring is when many T bone collisions occur.

I know of several grizzly ones where operators cut kayaks and other boats in half, ran their prop up the back of and killed kids right after taking off from a marina or anchorage.  They "just didn't see" the other.

https://poststar.com/news/local/man-seriously-hurt-after-boat-renter-hits-kayak-on-lake-george/article_6272d48a-35ab-594a-b116-f5f02d94c29a.html

https://dailygazette.com/article/2011/04/16/0416_kayakcrash

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/West-sentenced-for-Lake-George-boat-crash-11197001.php

https://poststar.com/news/local/boat-kayak-crash-on-lake-george-is-reminder-of-potential-dangers-on-the-water/article_891cd2e0-dfce-5fbf-81a7-6079cff24e68.html

And another where a PB had just taken off from his slip, hit a canoe and cut a boy up fatally with his screw.

When is a sailing vessel never the SOV?
  (No, not if on a trailer headed the wrong way on a one-way street)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

KWKloeber,

I didn't say avoiding a collision is the other guys problem, I said that's what the article seemed to imply, what I said is regardless of right of way I'm not letting anyone hit my boat. If that requires starting the motor, dropping the sails, and taking the long way around so be it, once I'm safely back in the slip I'll crack a cold beer and enjoy it on my nice undented boat.

You're right about how fast things can go bad even when it seems you've got the whole ocean to yourself. Where I sail it's container ships, you can spot one on the horizon and before you know it, it's right on top of you, I give them a very wide berth.