Genoa Sheet Turning (Cheek) Block Maintenance

Previous topic - Next topic

dschreder

I have a 2001 Catalina 34 sailboat that has Garhauer Genoa sheet turning (Cheek) blocks (picture attached).  I did not find the identical block on the Garhauer website but it appears that the FB-03 is equivalent.

When I sheet in the genoa on the port side the block squeals as it turns.    Is there any maintenance that I can do to fix this?    Can I remove the center screw and roller to lubricate it without removing the block?   Has anyone seen and addressed this problem?

KWKloeber

Go conservative initially.
ALL blocks and sheaves, in fact just about anything moving, benefits from a periodic (depending on climate, weather, use) treatment of Teflon based dry lube. You don't need the expensive marine brand, everyone brands make one - 3 in one, WD40, blaster, super lube.  DRY is a misnomer, the spray is wet but the vehicle evaporates leaving the dry lubricant (ptfe) that doesn't get sticky and capture bad stuff. Typically with the spray wand I don't need to disassemble anything.  The newbie crew got the job to spray every moving part on race night.

A caution on GhM ball bearing blocks - some (many??most?) don't have captive sheaves so extra caution is needed when disassembling a unit lest you end up with balls skittling to and fro.  Such as the deck organizers (how do I know this?)  That's opposed to GhM masthead sheaves that (for obvious reason) are captive.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Dave : You can try to squirt in a shot of SuperLub (has Teflon).  If it is not a BB block you just might have to live with the squeak!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

I would first try flushing well with water.  It may be lint? from the sheet.  Would take line off and spin the sheave while flushing with a hose.  If that didn't work I'd take the axle bolt out inspect for wear and lube with teflon. 

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

dschreder

Thanks, I will try those suggestions before I take any other action.   

I called Garhauer Marine.  They stated that maintenance on the block would be require removing and disassembling the block.   Since the replacement (FB-03 SB) only costs $97, they recommend replacing the existing block with the new one rather than repairing the old one.  If I need to go this route, I will need to confirm that the new block is a direct replacement.  It looks similar with the same length and width.   But, I have not yet confirmed hole placement and diameter, etc.     BTW, Garhauer Marine refers to these blocks as "Foot Blocks" where as the C34 Manual Deck Plan diagram called them "Cheek Blocks".

Jim Hardesty

Quotethey recommend replacing the existing block with the new one rather than repairing the old one.

If you do, look into adding on top a camlock block for the furling line.  I did that years ago, using another brand and making an adaptor.  I believe Garhuer  now makes one.   It was a big improvement over the set up that was on the boat to furl the genoa. 

Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

wingman

If you do, look into adding on top a camlock block for the furling line.  I did that years ago, using another brand and making an adaptor.  I believe Garhuer  now makes one.   It was a big improvement over the set up that was on the boat to furl the genoa. 

The camlock on the cheek block is a great idea, any pics to show how it attaches?
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

wingman

2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

dschreder

When I went to flush and lubricate the turning block, I found that it turned with no issues or sound.   Further checking showed that the source of the noise was the Ronstat Genoa Car.  Amazing how when I was previously sailing my ears could not identify the true source of the noise. 

Many years ago I mistakenly left the original Garhauer Genoa cars on the boat in the track over the winter and they disappeared. The Ronstat Genoa cars were available at a local marine store when I needed of a quick replacement in the  spring.   After I flushed the noisy car with water it seems to be OK.   But, I have ordered and now received Garhauer Genoa cars from Catalina Direct to put on the next time I go sailing.

Ron Hill

Dave : I am assuming that your existing block is NOT Ball Bearing?  If you replace it I'd definitely make sure that the new turning block is BB.
Not too sure about the necessity of the cam cleat?!?

A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

dschreder

Ron: Yes, I failed to mention that the Ronstat genoa cars do not have ball bearings.  The Garhauer cars do have ball bearings.