Engine hose specificaitions

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffreykwright

Hi - quick favour to ask.  I need to replace a couple of hoses.  I've got a M35-B.  The (short) hose from the manifold to the thermostat and the hose from the water pump to the heat exchanger.  I need the length and diameter of the hoses - I could take them off an measure, but would prefer not to take them off until I have replacements at hand (if I take the existing ones off I am not sure I'll get them back on).

Does anyone know the length and diameter of these hoses off hand?  I could not find these specs in the manual.

Thanks in advance. 
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Ron Hill

Geo : I believe that the specs will give you the diameter, but not the length.  The raw water hose from the pump to the HX should be nylon reinforced so just roughly measure, then add an inch or two and you should be OK. 

On my M25XPB engine similar to the M35BC, I took both the inlet and the output hoses from the raw water pump and ran both of them up from the pump directly aft on the upper port side of the engine - one to the HX and other (inlet hose) around the corner to the thru hull.  I incased both in a piece of clear plastic water hose (a conduit) to protect them. That way I could easily change my drive belt without having to remove hoses.                   
Something to think about!!   :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Geoffreykwright

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 22, 2020, 01:39:10 PM
Geo : I believe that the specs will give you the diameter, but not the length.  The raw water hose from the pump to the HX should be nylon reinforced so just roughly measure, then add an inch or two and you should be OK. 

On my M25XPB engine similar to the M35BC, I took both the inlet and the output hoses from the raw water pump and ran both of them up from the pump directly aft on the upper port side of the engine - one to the HX and other (inlet hose) around the corner to the thru hull.  I incased both in a piece of clear plastic water hose (a conduit) to protect them. That way I could easily change my drive belt without having to remove hoses.                   
Something to think about!!   :thumb:

A few thoughts

Ron - thanks.  I'll check again on the diameter spec.  Length I am ok with.  the hose from the manifold to the thermostat is short - but it's "painted" so can't see the ID/OD.  I'm ok getting them a bit long and cutting down if needed.
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

KWKloeber

Geo

Are you talking Hx to the seawater pump or the coolant pump?

There's sizes in the parts manual. I recall there is a date break on the thermostat hose - different hose depending on the date. Wb changed the size the the thermostat and housing over time!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Dave Spencer

Geoffrey,
I have an M35A but here are the measurements you're asking for

The short hose from the manifold to the T-stat is 7/8" about 9" long. It's harder to find 7/8 hose than other sizes. I got mine from Marine Outfitters in Kingston.  Regarding the hose to the heat exchanger, if it's the water hose running along the stbd side of the engine, it's 5/8 and about 22" long. If it's the coolant hose running along the port side, it's 7/8" about 24" long.
Hope that helps.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ron Hill

Geo : I dusted off my brain and the raw water hoses are 5/8" diameter.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Geoffreykwright

Ron, Dave - thanks.  Very helpful. 
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Geoffreykwright

Hi again - I am struggling on the short hose from the manifold to the thermostat (see picture - the one with the arrow pointing at it).  A couple on this forum said its 7/8" ID.  The OD is 1 1/2" so I not sure this is right.  Unfortunately the hose is painted so i can't see any markings.  I called Catalina Direct tech support.  They do not stock this part specifically, but said 1 1/8" is the ID.  No one in Toronto seems to stock that diameter hose - its very rare.  I've gone thru my manuals and can't find reference to any hose diameters.  Any thoughts?

Universal M-35B; Hull #1494; built 2000.

Thanks in advacne.
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Geoffreykwright

ANother view of the hose in question...
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Ron Hill

Geo : From the illustration it looks like that is a wire reinforced or a pre formed hose.  You might give Westerbeke a call @ 508-823-7677

Why are you replacing that hose ?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Dave Spencer

Geoffrey,
I'm standing in my boat looking at the hose is question now. I measured the OD as 1 3/8" so you're measurement of 1 1/2" isn't far off. The hose I used when I replaced the coolant lines a couple of years ago is Trident #100 0780 7/8" diameter. There's an SAE mark on it but it's smudged and I can't make it out. SAE J??06.
I have an M35A, not the M35B that you have but I highly doubt there would have been a change in hose size here.
Should be easy but nothing's easy on a boat!   :D
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
People - London, Ontario

Geoffreykwright

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 25, 2020, 03:04:26 PM
Geo : From the illustration it looks like that is a wire reinforced or a pre formed hose.  You might give Westerbeke a call @ 508-823-7677

Why are you replacing that hose ?

A thought
Ron - that's it - looks like a pre-formed wire-reinforced hose.  Its painted so I can't read any specs on the outside.  Reason I thought to replace it is it's looking brittle around the hose clamps - looks like some cracks - but it could be the paint cracking.  I am nervous to remove it to inspect it in case I can't get it back on and not get a replacement.  Good suggestion - I'll try Westerbeke.
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Geoffreykwright

Quote from: Dave Spencer on August 25, 2020, 05:56:36 PM
Geoffrey,
I'm standing in my boat looking at the hose is question now. I measured the OD as 1 3/8" so you're measurement of 1 1/2" isn't far off. The hose I used when I replaced the coolant lines a couple of years ago is Trident #100 0780 7/8" diameter. There's an SAE mark on it but it's smudged and I can't make it out. SAE J??06.
I have an M35A, not the M35B that you have but I highly doubt there would have been a change in hose size here.
Should be easy but nothing's easy on a boat!   :D
Dave - thanks.  Sounds like we're talking about the same thing.  Catalina does not seem to stock a hose described as "Manifold to Thermostat" for the M-35B (but the do for other engines).  I called Catalina tech support and they explained they are only starting to supply replacement hoses.  They said the ID on my hose is 1 1/8".  My local engine parts supplier (biggest in Toronto) does not even stock 1 1/8" since its so rarely used.  Catalina Direct DOES stock a 1 1/8" hose described as "Manifold to Heat Exchanger" (Part #: Z5049).  Wondering if that might work.  I'll certainly take Ron's suggestion and call Westerbeke.
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Dave Spencer

Sure enough, the M35A and B models are significantly different in this area. Here's the M35B parts manual showing the hose as 1 1/8".

http://c34.org/wiki/images/e/e1/201021_parts_manual_m25xpb-m35b-m40b_revision_2_final.pdf

Mine is definitely 7/8". Neither are common hose sizes. I had the same trouble you're having sourcing the hose locally. It looks like Marine Outfitters in Kingston has 1 1/8" just as they had the 7/8" when I got it from them several years ago. It might be faster and easier to have the hose come from Just up the 401 instead of California.
https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/mobile/?page=shop&category=10025|10388|11374&product=56565716
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
People - London, Ontario

Ron Hill

Geo : Have you looked at exhaust hose? Shields makes some that is wire reinforced with an ID of 1 1/8".

A thought
Ron, Apache #788