Side Deck Width

Previous topic - Next topic

David Sanner

I'm in the process of setting up a portable diesel heater (may do a permanent install later) and thinking of setting/securing it on the deck near the shrouds just outside one of the opening portlights and pumping fresh/dry/warm air in while the exhaust stays outside/outboard.   Unit is self contained 10W x 15L x 12H complete with a 5L fuel tank & pump, just plug into 12v and control w/ a remote. (see image)  I paid $120 on Amazon.

I'm sure I'll be able to secure it well, especially with a custom base perhaps designed to sit/catch inside the toe rail, but I'm still trying to figure out the best orientation.

Anyone near their c34 (MkI preferred) that could measure the deck width from inside of the toe rail to the base of the cabin top by the cap shroud & the height of the opening portlight?   

(I'm holed up 200 miles & 6400' from the sea but boat projects continue!)

Thanks - I'll post some photos, perhaps on a wiki page, when I finally get to use it this fall.
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Ron Hill

Dave : That heater should easily fit as I put my 1 KT Honda there when I run it.  Honda is 10"wide and its weight kept it in place.  I set it on a wide garden kneeling pad to absorb of any vibration.  The lower life line made sure it couldn't tip and the lip on the gunwale was against the bottom of the Honda.  Never had a problem, even with another boats wake!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

David Sanner

Thanks Ron, sounds nice spot for the generator as well.  Good to hear it's stable.

I figured it would sit nicely lengthwise on the deck and I think I the exhaust pipe would clear the toe rail.
(I'm going to wrap it in fiberglass exhaust wrap but I still want an air gap)

If I could mount it athwartship the hot air vent could line up with the portlight and the exhaust would easily clear the deck if the outboard end/base was sitting on top of the toe rail.    It would also make it easier to step over and less likely to bump into the exhaust pipe.

Good to know I have options.

Ron Hill

Dave : Not too sure about athwartships because that walkway has a slight downslope and is lower at the gunwale.  I was scared that the Honda might tip over because of a boat wake!  Would have been great athwartships because the exhaust would have been 90 degrees to the hull!

You can give it a try and see what you think?

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Dave Spencer

Dave,
To answer your specific question, I'm aboard and just measured my boat with the following results:
Width from inside of toe rail to cabin top at cap shroud measured on deck. 17 1/4"
Clearance from inside of toe rail to cap shroud. 14 1/2"
Height of opening port (not the frame) measured perpendicular (more or less) from the deck. 3 1/4"

As usual YMMV. Mine is a Mk 1.5
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

David Sanner

Thanks Dave, I appreciate you for taking the measurements, that helps a lot.

It sounds like I'll be able to place the heater athwartship with a few inches to spare and direct the hot air directly into the cabin w/ the exhaust pointing outboard.

I may raise the outboard edge/base an inch or so to just sit on the toerail but with a catch of sorts underneath.  That will also help level the unit out as well as raise the exhaust pipe further off the deck.

I'll take some photos of the "install" and post ... whenever I get to see the boat again - currently in Tahoe trying to avoid the smoke from all the CA forest fires.

David Sanner

I still haven't used the heater onboard but I've learned quite a bit about these heaters (especially how critical a proper fuel hose is & how distributors cut a few corners - surprise) but with a few mods the heater is reliably (so far) pumping out heat with an impressively clean exhaust output.  I've been using it outside at night while and may also use in my workshop this winter.   Tent heater?

I started a wiki page (I'll add more photos once I get onboard) if anyone is interested.

https://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Diesel_Cabin_Heater_-_Portable