Replacement Windlass - C34mk2

Previous topic - Next topic

Drhive

Hi. The Maxwell Windlass (VW500) on my Catalina 34MK2, while still working, has become a liability, since the chain jumps off when using the clutch to lower the anchor. It also doesn't have a safety cowling, which would keep the chain from jumping as well as ensure fingers don't get in the way. I know of two instances where yachties have come close to losing fingers to these winches. Not a pretty sight!
Does anyone have any experience replacing this windlass on a Catalina34?
Thanks for your help.

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

rbarnhartotg

I have a related question about fitment of Maxwell VW500 on my 2005 MK II. Being a newbie, starting sailing last year and bought this boat in October, there are many questions i have.
My boat was equipped with a rode with 100' of 5/16 chain and 150' of 5/8 3 strand. The one and only time I used the windlass the chain bounced off the gypsy when retrieving and was not smooth. Then I found out that the VW500 with gypsy is only for 1/4" chain. The Catalina owners manual says to use 5/16" chain and 5/8" line. There have been many other posts about anchor rode specs and it seems to me
that 1/4" chain is barely sufficient for a boat this size. I bought a new rode with 40' of 1/4" G4 chain and 150' of line but now not sure if that is strong enough, even for fair weather overnights. After looking
in a dozen or more places it seems the boat needs 5/16" chain. Is there a correct answer?

Perhaps Drhive is using 5/16 chain on a VW500 like the PO of mine was.

Thanks,
Rick B

Stu Jackson

Quote from: rbarnhartotg on August 29, 2020, 12:30:30 PM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
.....and it seems to me that 1/4" chain is barely sufficient for a boat this size. I bought a new rode with 40' of 1/4" G4 chain and 150' of line but now not sure if that is strong enough, even for fair weather overnights. After looking
in a dozen or more places it seems the boat needs 5/16" chain. Is there a correct answer?

Rick,

1/4" chain and 1/2" line is fine for 42 knots of wind.  How do I know this?  It's because I sized my anchoring system for just that.  I do NOT have a windlass.  Back when I lived in San Francisco, before I sailed to BC, I researched it and recorded my findings in the 101 Topics, here:

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) & Swivels http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4990.msg30400.html#msg30400

That thread discusses how it all works.

Indeed, on page 2 of that thread, reply #17, I noted: "...I used the 40 foot boat at 42 knots, which is partway between 42 and 60 knots for the 35 foot boat."

It all depends on how you use your boat.

Those of us with windlasses will chime in about the capstans & gypsies and chain matching to it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."