Value of used sails

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Lucas

I have a couple of spare sails for our 34 tall rig that I'm think I should sell off as I just don't need that many spares. Being reasonably new to sailing and our boat I'm just not sure of the value so thought I should ask...
Both have just been inspected by Leitch and McBride sailmakers and reported to be in good condition. One is a spare mainsail with grommets for our Dutchman system (but no Dutchman bags attached) and the other is a 110 Genoa. Both are in sail bags.

I can get exact measurements as needed but wondered if I can get a ball park value that I should ask? I'm guessing I should just advertise them locally as they'd be a pain to ship...

Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

dw

There are multiple business with web sites that sell used sails take a look see what they are asking for similar sails.  If you buy new sails they are often shipped to you.  Take you time fold them and box them.  It is worth selling if you can. Or they sit around you house and become worthless.  I have a main sail on ebay, may sell may not.  I hope it sells!
Good Luck
Dwight

Geoffreykwright

Bacon Sails is a good place to buy and sell used sails...even if you want to sell privately, it might give you an indication of price.  Check them out online.  You simply enter your boat make and model and you'll get a list of their inventory and condition of the sails they've got. 

Hope it helps.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Jim Lucas

Thanks to both of you.

I posted both the 110 Genoa and the Main sail on a local site for $500 Can each. Looks to be a decent cost for two good condition sails with sail bags. Both of which I just had looked over by my sail maker.
Just had a few too many spares so may as well clear out the sail locker... :)

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Lucas
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Victoria, BC Canada

Rortega46

I realize this thread is about selling used sails, but in case sailors or yacht club members are inclined to do something good with their used sails, sails can be accumulated and donated to a help the poor in Haiti.  One of our New Orleans Yacht Club members collects used sails by the pallet for later container shipment to Haiti via Miami.  It's for a good non-profit cause called Sails For Sustenance where Haitian fishermen use the donated sails to upgrade their fishing boats.  If anyone is interested in knowing more please go to sailsforsustenance.org
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Ron Hill

Jim : Your used sails might be in great condition.  However, if you put too high a price on them they will never sell!  People will look for a "deal" or just spend their $$ on new sails.

Bacons will really inspect your old sails and you'll be surprised that they'll show you they are not in that good a shape!! I just donated mine!

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Jim Lucas

Ron,
I do agree in part as identifying the true condition is a guessing game to some extent. So far, I've found that even a good sail maker has trouble defining the true description. Also, finding a size match for someone else adds another level of complexity.

It appears that there are a few Catalina 34 owners that maybe can't afford new sails and good used may be an option as I've already got a few inquiries.
I don't/won't sell junk so if I wouldn't put them on my boat I'd just donate them as well. In this case, they appear to be good overall cruising sails and have a number of years left in them. I've priced them below what my sail maker suggests to make them an easy sale and buy for someone.
Jim Lucas
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Victoria, BC Canada

dw

Jim, you are correct, you are up front tell people what you have and go from there.  Bacons is OK most think they are over priced on used sails but they are in Annapolis.  They do a ton of business, what do I know. Minnies is gone they sold lots of used sails.  I bought one there. I have bought stuff at Bacons also.
  I would like to buy a used A-chute a toy will get used a couple of times.  If I like it maybe I will get a better one.  Have not taken the time to figure out the size for a tall mast.  Getting a used one off a J105 is a plan.