changing fuel filter

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

Changed racor fuel filter today, I've changed it several time over the last 15 years, the tank was full of fuel, I have a valve installed just before the racor filter, with the filter off, I opened the valve just to run a little fuel out, (rinse) but no fuel came out, I thought that was odd because of siphoning, I put the filter on and bled and ran the engine, in the past I would leave the knurled knob open a 1/4 turn or so to self bleed the system, engine started right up, ran it for half hour or so, however, when I shut the engine off, it wouldn't start again unless I shut the knurled bleed screw knob tight,

had to leave the boat until friday, in the meantime, thought I would ask you guys for advice before I get back and trouble shoot,why wouldn't the tank siphon, and why can't I leave the bleed screw partially open like before, the pick up tube has the screen removed, .  I can rev the engine to 3200 rpm no problem. I have spent the last hour reading the archives.
It's got me confused, almost like the fuel line has a airleak, or something breaking the siphon. but why  the bleeder screw can't be cracked open  a little like it used to be, like Ron says, (self bleeding) I did notice Stu's report on the racor check valve I could look at when I get back, I did notice a little trouble starting the engine, hence the filter change, now it fires up instantly, as long as the knurled knob is tight??
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

glennd3

I believe the bleed nut should be tight.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Bob : After you have change the filter (Racor or engine) and you've run the engine a while to insure that all the air is our of the line, turn the bleed knob tight as it's done it's job! Or you can leave it cracked open 1/4 turn!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

captran

you question has me wondering if I am unnecessarily spending alt of money doing the racor every year at the start o my cruising season.  when we kept the boat in Florida we found even using biobor that in the course of the year algae would grow in the filter and would kill the motor.  Since then, even in the north west, we still have been changing it every year.  and the R15s is north of 60 bucks.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Stu Jackson

Quote from: captran on August 16, 2020, 08:51:19 PM
you question has me wondering if I am unnecessarily spending alt of money doing the racor every year at the start o my cruising season.  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In digging into the details of the fuel filter housing and the obscure check ball valve, I read the manual for the filters.  It says every 500 hours.

I had my last primary filter on for nine years.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : As Stu mentioned 500 hrs is a good rule of thumb. 
It all depends on how many hours you run per year and how much fuel you take on?  I leave my engine filter on for 5/7 years, but change out my Racor every spring.  I put on an average of 200+ hrs /year.  Your choice??

A thought
Ron, Apache #788