Thinking about installing digital guages

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy Gold

Has anyone replaced their gauge panel with digital instruments. Does anyone make digital instruments that fit the existing holes.
1992 Cal 34 MK 1.5.   #1202
Universal 35 BC

KWKloeber

BG

I've looked at digital tachs and sure I saw other gauges in the standard round size. I don't have the links any longer but a google or Scamazon search should pop them up.  You might also try the performance sites like summit racing
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Lucas

I'd be interested to see how this might turn out. Please keep us posted.
Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

scgunner

Buddy,

Why do you want to switch from analog to digital? I have some digital instruments on my boat but they're down below. One thing I've noted is that when the sunlight is coming in at the right angle digital gauges are impossible to read, that might be problematic with gauges in the cockpit.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Roc

With all the systems on the boat, some things are best to be kept simple.  This is something where keeping it simple and staying with analog might be the best approach.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Buddy : Not too sure what you are going to gain, by spending Boat$$ on digital instruments??

The only advantage of digital over analog on the boat I can think of is in the radio tuning!!

Do you really care if you are running @ 2155 rpm or 2167rpm??? or your engine temp is 158 vrs 162 degrees???

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Buddy Gold

The boat I just bought has a tach that is out of calibration. I see that new tach's can be adjusted by a screw in the back but I think this one is original.  I was thinking that before I go thru all the trouble of pulling it out to see if this one is adjustable I would see what my options are.

There have been some very valid points made so far about not changing.
1992 Cal 34 MK 1.5.   #1202
Universal 35 BC

Noah

Once you check with a handheld tach and know what the true readings are at various RPMs, instead of adjusting your built in tach, you could just make a "correction table/chart" showing the calibrated RPMs against built-in tach's display at various intervals for you to reference underway, or just be aware of how much off it is. I have found the actual RPM number is kind of irrelevant anyway and operate based upon sound and vibration.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Buddy : You haven't stated your C34 production year. 
If you have a MK I with the older tach - I wrote an article in the Mainsheet tech notes on how to select and change the dip switches on the back of the instrument. I mention a formula that you use to determine the "Up or Down" of each switch. 

That way you can get into the general ball park of the correct RPM.  Then you can use a Digital Tach to get the exact and make youself a chart  i.e  Gage says___ Actual reading___ for 1200, 1500, 1800, 2000 rpm!!   :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788