CDI (Cruising Designs Inc) continuous line furler

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldlaxer1

I have an old CDI continuous line furler on our new to us boat.  I hate it.  Partly because the PO did such a poor job of splicing a new line on it but also because it is a bear to furl/unfurl.  I purchased a new Harken MKIV unit 2 that I will be installing after the season ends.  My question is, does anyone know the proper line size for the old CDI continuous line furler?  I think perhaps what is there is too large.  Even when the lousy splice isn't in the drum it is still hard to turn. 
John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

Ron Hill

Old : I believe it was 7/16" line.
braid on braid constant diameter is a VERY difficult splice to make so don't get after the PO too much. Most riggers can't even make that splice!!

C34s thru about 1990 (1000+ hulls!!) came with a Hood 915 continuous line furler.  Most of us have changed that out to a single line furler.

You'll like your single line Harken much better!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Oldlaxer1

It took me three tries to get my test splice the way I wanted it so I agree, splicing constant diameter isn't easy.  The existing line chafes on the three outside guides (two shown in picture) which certainly contributes to the difficulty in furling.   I had a MKI on my old boat and had it serviced just after I bought the boat while the rigger was doing the rig inspection and it worked flawlessly for 5 years.  We were spoiled...
John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

Ron Hill

John : You might want to look at the Garhauer outside the stanchion line guides. 
They are great and keep the line out of the walkway and are ball bearing!!   :thumb:

A few thought

Ron, Apache #788

Oldlaxer1

Well, after doing the research, I purchased some 3/8" Samson trophy braid, removed the old and put it on.  Splice went exceptionally well thank God. Furler is now functional again.  I added enough line to get it to the Stb side pushpit rail so I can furl from the helm station.  I'm very pleased with the results.  It is routed outside the stanchions so the deck remains clear.  Thanks for the suggestions.
John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

LogoFreak

Hi John, I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing. My mast is down and am going to be ordering the furler, any reason you chose to go with the unit 2 instead of the unit 1? Our wire is 5/16 1x19 and we have a 5/8in toggle. The unit 1 will do 1/2 toggle and 5/8, while unit 2 does 5/8 and 3/4. Just curious as to why you chose unit 2?
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Oldlaxer1

I went with the unit 2 because I found a used one in like new condition for a great price.  Even adding all the foils and missing connectors I'll be all in for under $1,000.  Couldn't pass it up. 
John Novotny
1987 C34 #298