Removing the boom end-caps

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffreykwright

Hi.  I was thinking about replacing my outhaul - the line is pretty weathered and frayed on both ends.  I HAVE seen the threads on replacing the outhaul - but I am not clear on removing the boom end-caps.  I had a quick look and they appear to be riveted on.  Its a Charleston Spar boom and the manual does show it to be riveted.  Can I (gently) drill out the rivets and then re-rivet after? 

Another question - I've seen the 3:1 and 10:1 haul-systems inside the boom.  I am not convinced I have one of these in my boom.  The outhaul seems to be moving the same distance at both ends.  If there were a haul system inside, then I'd assume the outhaul would not move at the same rate at each end of the boom (i.e. pulling in 3' in the cockpit would result in 1' at the clew for a 3:1 system).  There is also no mention of a haul system in the furling documentation (I know there is the one picture in the Catalina 34 manual - but I've got a seperate manual for the furling system which covers the mast and boom construction/function).

Is it possible I just have a 'straight-thru' outhaul and I can just fish a new one through with a messenger?

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom on this.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Jim Hardesty

Do you have in-mast mainsail furling?   If so then the system is at least similar to Shamrock. 

QuoteIs it possible I just have a 'straight-thru' outhaul and I can just fish a new one through with a messenger?

I believe you are correct, no blocks inside boom.  When I replace halyards and control lines I sew the new to the old end to end.  I use whipping line, sail makers needle and a sail makers palm.   All that's needed is a few passes.  Probably someone has made a utube how-to video.

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Replace-Halyard-Rope

Hope that helped,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Geoffreykwright

Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

crieders

i took off my caps twice in the last 30 years and put in blocks. It works well. the only problem is that there are screws etc on the inside that can impale line associated with blocks or the blocks themselves; so you have to be very careful.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Geoffreykwright

Quote from: crieders on August 05, 2020, 08:57:58 AM
i took off my caps twice in the last 30 years and put in blocks. It works well. the only problem is that there are screws etc on the inside that can impale line associated with blocks or the blocks themselves; so you have to be very careful.
How'd you get the caps off though?  Mine appear to be riveted.  Did you drill out the rivets or are your caps on with screws?
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA