cheek blocks

Previous topic - Next topic

dw

Hello, I see there are a few threads on adding cheek blocks or foot blocks aft of the primary winches for the jib sheets.  I am preparing to add these on a 88 C34 Hull#694.  I believe this will provide a better angle for trimming in the jib.  I have a set of Scheafer 37-13 cheek blocks and a 37-13 foot block.   I can pick up another foot block if it is preferred.  I picked these up at a West Marine going out of business sale a few years ago.  Will be nice to finally use them,
Does anyone have pic on the placement of these blocks?  If anyone else has done similar are you happy with the upgrade?  From the threads this is a standard option on newer C34's?  Is a 1 inch off set block reasonable?   I have some teak or mahogany for a the off set.
  Any tips are helpful before I start drilling holes.
Thanks,
Dwight
Hull # 694
Get'N By

Ron Hill

DW : I don't have a picture, but I installed two turning blocks (on the side of the combing) for the primary winches a number of years ago.  I hope your blocks are ball bearing like my Garhauer's are.

Look at the way the line threads in the winches and you'll see that you only need an offset (to move it further out) on the starboard side to keep the line from touching edge of the combing. The port side can be mounted flush on the side combing!!

I used some Lexan (cut to size) as a backing plate.  To get inside on the port side just remove the engine inst. panel and on the starboard  side I could reach around thru the open aft locker.

You'll like the better angle of the sheet lines with the turning blocks!!

A few thoughts   :clap

Ron, Apache #788

awesome34

I have some photos of the blocks installed on my 88. They were originally installed by the previous owner and he used 2" high wood backing, but I replaced the turning blocks he used with new Garhauer blocks recently. I don't know any of the rationale for his choices in how he set it up, but it seems to work fine.

Stu Jackson

Dwight,

Make them the same on both sides, why not?

Nominal 1" wood teak spacers, 7/8" measured.

Very helpful, clears the electrical inlet, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."