Tropical storm, Hurricane

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

We have a disturbance coming up the east coast tonight. The storm should be on me around 9 am tomorrow. I will go to the marina and take some pictures. They are predicting a very high tide then a very low tide as it passes. The  good news is that it should be over quickly. Usually if the eye is east of the Chesapeake Bay the counter clockwise wind will blow the water out and west of the bay the wind blows it in. Have to see how it lines up.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

ewengstrom

We're in Colonial Beach, on the Potomac. We've gotten pretty good at this Hurricane prep over the 18 years we've been sailing here. Strip her of canvas, if the storm looks to be a direct hit we also remove the sails and put them below, if a glancing blow then at least tie the main up tightly to the boom and tie off both ends of the furling sail so it will not deploy in high wind. Add additional back up lines on all four corners. Make sure insurance policy is up to date (my wife actually up'd our coverage early last week!!!!).
Interesting note, our companionway has leaked consistently since we purchased Ohana last July, this past Saturday I removed all the wood around that companionway, cleaned and sanded it all after letting it dry out and then caulked and reinstalled it. It rained Saturday evening and nary a drop was on the engine compartment lid (YAY!!!!).....I'm looking forward to going down tonight and seeing how everything went. (GULP!!!)
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15