Leaking Fuel Tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

Early in the 21st century (2003 or 2004) the aluminum fuel tank in Surprise my 1987 Catalina 34 had a significant fuel leak, and I replaced the tank at that time.  A couple of weeks ago Tropical Storm Isais tore through Long Island (and other places), and somehow caused a new leak in Surprise's fuel tank.  This time the fuel is not gushing out of the tank, but seems to be leaking slowly. So, I suspect there is either a small hole or small crack in the tank.  Instead of replacing the tank,I wonder if there is some sort of external sealant or patch that I might use to stop the leak more or less permanently. 

Please let me know if you know of something I can use to patch the tank.

Thank you, and keep safe.

Vic Suben
Surprise   Hull no. 453
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Noah

Sorry to sound like a big downer, but I believe your tank is due for another replacement. Even if you find the hole after draining cleaning etc. (hopefully have inspection ports or will have install ports), finding something to stick and/or not have other holes appear, is doubtful.  :cry4`
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

QuoteSorry to sound like a big downer, but I believe your tank is due for another replacement.

I agree.  My experience, with aluminum motorcycle tanks, is that even the best welding repairs of cracks are prone to crack again.  Considering the work involved, If it were me, would replace with a new plastic tank.
Hope what ever you decide, it works out well for you.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Vic Suben

Thanks for the info.  I guess I'll bite the bullet and change the tank.

Vic
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

scgunner

Vic,

It's a decision you won't regret.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273