What’s in your chartable?

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Staying on the boat tonight and doing a little "clean-up". Not telling if this is before or after... 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scgunner

Noah,

Nicely done. Now the trick is keeping it that way.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scgunner on July 30, 2020, 08:17:06 AM
Noah,

Nicely done. Now the trick is keeping it that way.

My experience has been that as long as the dividers are there, one gets in the habit of replacing items where they best fit, it becomes a good habit.

My wife is convinced it is the only good habit I've had since she's known me.   :cry4`
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Noah : I believe that we all have similar items.  Although I still kept the "tools needed to plot on a paper chart" because I got my C34 even before Loran!!- so that stuff was necessary back then.

Early on I cut thin wooden strips so they would act as dividers inside the table so items could stay organized in place. After awhile I installed a spring to keep the lid open by itself.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Hear ya, Ron. Most of us "vintage" sailors keep analog back-up tools for all our electronics. I keep a stopwatch, hand-bearing compass, dividers, hand-held wind gauge, and can't forget my old fashioned speed/time/distance dead reckoning sliderule/wheel. Now, all I need to do is sail somewhere  8)
...BTW- I still have my original star finder chart/wheels set, but my eyes are too bad to see stars these days, let alone navigate by them. :abd:
Standard Rig

cmainprize

Looks like everything but charts!
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Noah

Ha!!! Paper charts (to cover area where I voyage these days—which is not far) are rolled up in a tube on the shelf in the main saloon.
Standard Rig

britinusa

I stapled a piece of phifertex on the underside of the table lid, that's were we keep our chart books.

Made a holder (more phifertex) to snap on the inside of the hanging locker, that's where we keep the flashlights.

Made another holder for inside the bathroom cabinet door, that's where we keep the tools needed to disconnect the Raw Water input hose from the thru hull in order to clear anything that clogs the thru hull.

Anther holder for pens and pencils is secured to the aft facing surface of the bulkhead above the nav table.

The rest of the nav stuff (Dividers, Parallel Rule, Compass Rose, SSB HF Receiver, odds and ends)  gets tossed in the nav table, nothing as neat as yours but that gives some great ideas. Thanks.

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Kevin Henderson

I think I'm in need of intervention   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Noah

If it gets any worse at least you can send up a flare!
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : Many years ago, I wrote a Mainsheeet tech note article (with pictures) of adding and extra shelf above the Vberth shelf.  I keep all of my NOAA paper charts up on that top shelf folded in half and flat.

Nothing more concerting than to have to hold down the edges of a rolled up chart!!   :cry4`

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Ron, my old friend Kenny once said "chart storage is a bit like gambling...got to know when to fold'em and know when to roll'em..."😎 For rainy-day back-up charts...roll'em.
Standard Rig

glennd3

Wow I have to say my chartable is a mess , sort of a catch all. I now have another project for the winter!
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Steve_in_lex

Ron, do you have a link, or could you post the Mainsheet tech article you wrote about installing an extra shelf over the vberth for charts?  Thanks
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"