C34 Take Two

Previous topic - Next topic

girmann

Looking at moving up from a C28 to a C34. Seems to check all the right boxes and improves all the things that are no longer a fit for us in the 28. Two adults and two teenagers means that we need three real berths - assuming we can get the cabin table up and down (I've heard they can be a problem sometimes). Looking forward to the much better upwind performance (even if we get the WK).

We started looking at the 34 a couple of years ago, but now has the CFO approval, so it might actually happen. We're looking at MK 1.5s, since the Mk2's are just barely out of our price range. Though there's a couple MK2 1997's in NJ for ~60k. If we could get those to negotiate down a bit, we might be able to get into a Mk. 2.

Can't believe how much information is here and it's made it a lot easier to understand the strengths of the C34 and how to do just about everything to the boat. It feels like you can't get much more of a boat in a Catalina without going up to the 40.
Proud owner of hull #1488

scgunner

The main salon table isn't generally a problem, it usually comes down how individuals like to use or modify them to personal taste. It's been my experience that you should buy as much boat as you can get even if you have to exceed your budget a bit, you'll be happier in the long run.

Another consideration would be how well the boat is equipped and upgraded. Some examples; dinghy+motor, generator, full set of boat covers, sails, etc. You'll pay a fraction of the price for these upgrades that come with the boat as opposed to buying them later.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

mdidomenico

i would agree with scgunner on buying more boat then you can afford (within reason).  i'm happy with my c34, but there are times thinking into the future that i probably should have waited a bit and gotten a c36 or even bumped up into a 40.  but most of this is speculative since we don't know how you plan to use the boat.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Jim Hardesty

girmann,
Where do you plan on docking and sailing?  I agree, the best way to get equipment is when it's included with the boat you are buying.  IMHO a dinghy would make cruising with teenagers a lot better, for them and you.
Jim 
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

girmann

Thanks Jim! We're docking in a slip and mostly day sailing in Long Island Sound currently. I'd like to do more cruising, which isn't really possible with the C28 we have now. We have a dinghy and had to upgrade it just to go up the river to get ice cream!

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on July 29, 2020, 08:08:41 AM
girmann,
Where do you plan on docking and sailing?  I agree, the best way to get equipment is when it's included with the boat you are buying.  IMHO a dinghy would make cruising with teenagers a lot better, for them and you.
Jim

girmann

The boats that we're looking at currently I think will work for us, especially since we have older teenagers. I can't imagine they'll want to go on cruises for much longer. It's odd, the 36 is only 1' longer and 0.5' wider than the 34, and its layout down below is worse for how we'd use it. We'd have to go to the C42 to get a real three cabin layout and that's just too big for us. Most of the older boats we're looking at come with upgrades, but also come with things that need to be done - so it seems like a bit of a wash.

Quote from: scgunner on July 29, 2020, 07:44:35 AM
The main salon table isn't generally a problem, it usually comes down how individuals like to use or modify them to personal taste. It's been my experience that you should buy as much boat as you can get even if you have to exceed your budget a bit, you'll be happier in the long run.

Another consideration would be how well the boat is equipped and upgraded. Some examples; dinghy+motor, generator, full set of boat covers, sails, etc. You'll pay a fraction of the price for these upgrades that come with the boat as opposed to buying them later.

ewengstrom

My wife and I upgraded from a Bristol 27.7 to a 1988 Catalina 34 last year. We've cruised the Chesapeake annually for over 25 years with our daughter (and often one of her friends) for up to 12 days so I can honestly relate to your current predicament....at least you're thinking about it before they move out.
We're quite happy with this move, the C34 sails so much better than our Bristol it's scary....and the accommodations are outstanding when compared to our old boat. Ohana is a 1988 standard rig/wing keel and I'm not disappointed in her pointing ability one bit, maybe it's due to the fact that my 27' Bristol was WIDE (10' beam) and had WIDE spreaders so that boat's ability to point was not good, but this C34 still points well with a wing keel IMHO.
My thoughts here turn to not just buying a boat that is well equipped, but take the time to find one that has been cared for and not just used. Sometimes well equipped boats are loaded...with old(er) equipment that's in need of replacement or upgrading.
Good luck with your search, hope to see your "new" boats information under your signature soon.

Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Patches

Moving from a Mark 1.5 to a Mark 2 comes with some pretty good upgrades.  I have a Mark 1.25 (swim step, but no walk through transom as on Mark 1.5) and I find the following Mark 2 upgrades desirable:

1.  Deck stepped mast with compression post.  Aside from the debate about which is better offshore in a stinking blow, a deck stepped mast doesn't leak below through the partners as readily as a keel stepped mast.  You also don't need to worry about mast wedges or the space between the mast and the mast collar.  Those can fall out, make noise, or shift requiring attention.

2.  Water heater location.  In the Mark 1-1.5 it is under the sink making access to everything else under the sink a real pain.  In the Mark 2 it has been moved to under the starboard settee making access to both the water heater and below the sink much better.

3.  Engine access.  Getting at the back of the engine/transmission in a Mark 1 requires serious boat yoga.  I, like many, put in an access hatch in the aft berth to provide better access to the transmission, heat exchanger, exhaust riser, and hoses.  It also came in handy while re-wiring the engine and panel.  The Mark 2 has better access to this area already.

4.  Cockpit/swim step layout.  This is pretty good on the Mark 1.5.  The Mark 2's carry the beam further aft, resulting in a broader swim step. But unlike many boats, the Mark 2 doesn't take it to the extreme.  If you've ever spent the night at anchor on one of the newer Beneteaus when there is a little breeze, you'll likely have experienced the "Transom Slap" phenomenon if you're trying to sleep in the aft berth.  The very wide, and flat, sterns tend to "slap, slap, slap" all night.

In addition the above there are little refinements to the cabinetry and galley layout which seem to improve the boat.

For what its worth, we looked at a well kept C36 1.5 and decided we preferred our C34 1.25.  The V-berth is a lot bigger, and there was no cabin door on the aft cabin.  We also like the mid-ship head on the C34.  The C-36s do seem to have better storage however.  We also thought the C34 sailed better.

Patches

Roc

If I'm not mistaken, the mk2 has a 35 hp diesel, while the previous models have 30 hp and less as you move to older model years.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

grim : The table problem is because they have NOT been lowered - ever!  Once they get exercised they're just fine.

Most of the C34s thru about hull # 1000 are equipped with a 21 (thru 1986) or 23hp engine 3 cylinder (1987 thru 1991). Above that Hull # thru 1294 they might (an option) have a 30hp engine (4 cylinder).  All of the MKIIs have a 4 cylinder 35HP engine.

Great boat, but the older teenagers don't seem too interested in mom & dads sailing!!  I had 3 boys and 3 girls.  Most grandchildren(11) will eat their way thru a sailing trip !!  So just be awhere!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scgunner on July 29, 2020, 07:44:35 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Actually, this ^^^ is just the small stuff.

Read Critical Upgrades to find out what is REALLY important.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scgunner

Stu,

If you read my post that you reposted you might notice I said "how well the boat is equipped and UPGRADED". Also, I'm not sure everyone would agree that the several thousand dollars you'd have to spend to get a dinghy+motor because the boat you purchased didn't come with one would be considered "small stuff".
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Stu Jackson

Kevin, yes, of course, you're right.  I was simply, and inadequately, attempting to steer the prospective owner to systemic and "under the hood" items that we have learned specifically about the Mark I to 1.5 Catalina 34, that are not so apparent.

You are, of course, completely correct. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

scgunner

Stu,

If I was looking at the purchase of a C34 Marks 1 and 1.5 I'd certainly have a copy of the Critical Upgrades List in hand when I went to look at the boat. It not only provides a good "under the hood" look at the boat, but it also says something about the PO. If the items on the list have been addressed it probably means that the PO overall took pretty good care of the boat.

Not having the Upgrades wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker for me since the Upgrades are generally inexpensive and mostly DIY. Of course having them done would be a big plus.

In regards to the Critical Upgrades List, I'd be interested to see what recommendations a surveyor would come up with pertaining to the List on a boat with none of the Upgrades.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scgunner on July 31, 2020, 08:41:15 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In regards to the Critical Upgrades List, I'd be interested to see what recommendations a surveyor would come up with pertaining to the List on a boat with none of the Upgrades.

Kevin,

Good point.  When I had Aquavite surveyed in 1998, I had an excellent surveyor, who had also surveyed another C34 we'd offered, but it failed survey for a number of un-C34-related issues, including the PO flat out lying about some stuff.

When he saw this boat, he looked up and smiled and said, "Wow, where'd you find this one?  You have a winner."

Back then we had a fledgling website, with some very good information, but if you'll check the CU date, you'll see it hadn't been invented yet!  The Forum didn't start until 2001, IIRC.

In any event, since he'd been surveying a lot of C34s then, I gave him a few printouts and the link to the website.  The really good one is this OLD FAQ:  https://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html.  It was an early "version" of the CU.

That's why, at the suggestion of one of our friendly skippers, we started Critical Upgrades.  And we're very pleased it has helped so many prospective owners, and existing owners, for that matter.

My PO had done the harness upgrade, but not some other things.  And then we all discovered some new ones to add to the list.  Recurring issues also prompted me to start the 101 Topics.  I just hate retyping the same old, same old... :D :D :D

And, to their credit, regardless of what Ken Kloeber keeps saying, Catalina did implement a few of them themselves.  Not perfect, for sure, but they did.