Cockpit Sole

Previous topic - Next topic

weseitz

I have a 1998 C34MKii. The boat is new to me, and during the survey, it was pointed out that the cockpit sole is a little soft and spongy especially near the pedestal. I'm pretty sure that water has leaked through the pedestal and into the sub floor wood causing it to rot and get soft. I'm thinking about cutting out the sole, replacing the sub-floor and then trying to replace the fiberglass floor or just build in a new sole. It is work to be done this winter when the boat is up, and I'm wondering if anyone has some experience and advice.
Bill Seitz
1998 C34 MKII #1423
Sailing in Baltic Sea
Ă…hus, Sweden

mdidomenico

how spongy is "spongy"?  my cockpit sole showed as "wet" during the survey, but i cannot feel any movement in the plywood.  since i'm under a full refit i've had pretty good access to trace leaks around the pedestal lately.  i haven't pulled the pedestal, but i did pull the guard and it's feet.  that seems to be where my leaks are coming from.  if you can't detect any noticeable movement in the sole when standing on it, i personally wouldn't cut out the core. 
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

JCHoctor

I just undertook that same task this winter with my 1988 (hull # 738).  It was very time consuming but I came out the other side with a pretty solid sole.  On the core, I used an Airtex product that is lighter than replacing with plywood which I am pretty happy with.  I have some pictures and some lessons learned if you want to hear.  Maybe more of a conversation.

I'm located in Annapolis if you are nearby. Or DM me
John
Hull #738
1988 Mk1 Tall Mast Wing Keel, M25XP