MK1 owners: Problem with Day/Night solar fan over aft cabin

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

When legacy equipment dies, finding a replacement can be a pain. My original Nicro/Marinco Day/Night solar vent/fan finally died. Not a battery issue, it's the motor, which is in sealed case and not repairable. Unfortunately, the original design has been discontinued. I opted to buy the new "replacement" Marinco model for ($160 on Amazon) despite the so-so reviews. However, the Marinco replacement(s) did not fit my boat. They make two sizes. The (4 in.)  model will fit the hole in the coachroof but the solar panel "fan dome" is too large in diameter (9+ in.) to fit on to the coachroof and clear the handrail. So not useable. The smaller model (3 in.) fits the cabin-top space, but the hole in the deck was too large to support the mounting flange. Nothing is easy!
I solved the problem (for me anyway) by using the smaller (3in.) model and filling-in the hole in the coachroof with thickened epoxy, making it 1-inch smaller in diameter to accept the smaller flange mount. I used a 3 in. plastic paint bucket. waxed-it-up and taped into the hole as a mold to pack epoxy around. I removed bucket when dry—took some chiseling and sanding, but came out with a clean smaller hole to mount flange. Made a teakwood ring to finish the hole underside.
The new model vent is a complete redesign: bigger solar panel with a switch on the motor to vent either in or out, and they added a very weak LED light with a switch. The verdict is still out as whether this redesign makes it any better than the old one. It seems to blow less air and motor is still sealed and not repairable if breaks. Will see how long it lasts. Time marches on.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

Looks great. I've had good luck using mylar shipping tape as a release agent when using epoxy.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

glennd3

Noah you always do nice work. I need to replace mine too, it is noisy. My wife sleeps in that birth so it is not on top of the list as it does not bother her. 
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

scgunner

Noah,

The problem I had with those solar vents was when I installed my first dodger(back in '88)they got almost no sun making them practically useless. So I removed them and capped the holes. I've found the best way to vent the aft cabin and head is to leave the doors open. Next I replaced the dorade vents with the solar vents. I always found the dorades to be a bit of a pain, they didn't seem to provide much ventilation and had a tendency to hang up the jib sheets. The new location for the solar vents provides a lower deck profile and they're in sunlight most of the time.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

mdidomenico

i purchased one of the redesigned ones a year ago and ran in the same problem where it hit the grab rail.  mine only lasted a year before the motor and connection between the fan blades and moter failed.  i tried to dissemble it, but they used glue in several places which destroyed it to some extent.  i might have still been within warranty for replacement, but because the dome is too large, i just wrote it off.  i have a clear becson port in there now.  i might see if i can get the holed filled in by a fiberglass guy at some point
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Noah

Mdido- I am confused. How did you install the new designed "replacement" (that you say lasted a year before motor problems occurred) if the solar dome/housing wouldn't clear the handrail?
Standard Rig

mdidomenico

i removed the handrail.  my boat is under a full refit so handrail wasn't needed.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Gary Brockman

My original Day/Night vents worked really well and were basically silent. Over the last 12 years I replaced the motors twice as they wore out. When Marinco stopped selling replacement motor kits (I think their supplier went out of business) they brought out the new models.

One of my vents recently failed, so I bought two of the new 3" models and installed them last weekend. One of them makes a soft whirling noise while the other makes pronounced whirling noise that is very distracting. Has anyone else who has installed the new vents found them to be noisy, or did I just get two bad ones. Marinco said I could send them back to be repaired or replaced, but if they are all noisy, i may return them and go another way.
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Noah

My new 3 in. one is almost silent. Although, it blows less air than my old-style 4 inch one. As I said previously, the new 4 in. would not fit the space—It hit the handrail.  My 1990 has one solar vent as there is a Bomar hatch on Portside over the head.
Standard Rig

Breakin Away

Quote from: Gary Brockman on August 19, 2020, 10:28:48 AM
...Has anyone else who has installed the new vents found them to be noisy, or did I just get two bad ones...
I put in a new 4" one this spring to replace the smaller prior unit whose motor had failed irreparably. It's on the salon hatch, so I didn't have a problem fitting it. First thing I noticed when I turned it on was the greater noise, vs. the silence of the prior one. I thought it would bother me, but I don't even notice it any more. It may have gotten quieter as it broke in. I'd rather not admit that my hearing might be getting worse. lol

Overall I'm happy with it. My biggest fear is that it might leak, but it made it through Isaisis without so much as a drop of water.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)