Water in Aft Cabin with following seas?

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck.Philips

Have any of you experienced getting water into the space in the little passage way between the galley and the aft cabin?  We were in light wind conditions last week with the motor on and a following swell of about 3 feet at 7 seconds that would catch up to us and push us along.  However, once in our slip, we noticed the carpeting in that area was wet.  It appears the water is coming from the stern vents in the swim step area.  The bilge was dry.  Any suggestions--we have a 2005 Mk II C-34.

Thanks
Chuck
Chuck Philips
"Forever Young"
2005 Catalina 34--#1725--Anniversary Edition

Jim Hardesty

QuoteHave any of you experienced getting water into the space in the little passage way between the galley and the aft cabin?

I've never had that problem, been in conditions like that and worse many times.   I would look at the cockpit drain lines they T then go out the stern.  Could be disconnected or broken along the way.  Also check that the limber holes from under the engine to the bilge are clear.  Shamrock had a lot of saw dust, wood chips and small bits of fiberglass plugging the holes.  May have been some water trapped then splashed out with the boat rocking and rolling.

Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Breakin Away

Yes, several times, and I always wondered where it came from. I finally figured it out, but the source for me was totally different from yours.

When motoring or motor-sailing for an extended time, water from the stuffing box would accumulate under the transmission. After that, when sailing on a port tack, the water makes its way over to the starboard side and seeps under the engine cabinet/bulkhead. It also might do it sometimes when motoring in lumpy conditions, though I'd usually be sailing in such conditions.

Now, I always go down below and sponge out that water at the end of each sailing day (lest it evaporate into a concentrated brine). And if I motor for an extended time and then put up the sails, I usually remember to go below as soon as I cut the motor and sponge it out before I start to heel.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Noah

Breakin- IMO you need to tighten or repack your stuffing box with GTU, it is leaking too much.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Breakin Away

Quote from: Noah on July 26, 2020, 06:32:08 PM
Breakin- IMO you need to tighten or repack your stuffing box with GTU, it is leaking too much.
The packing was replaced only a year ago. It's fine. It's completely dry when the motor is off, and about a drip a minute when underway. It only takes a few ounces of water to show up under the cabinet when heeling and/or hobby-horsing into chop. It only happens when motoring for 4 hours or so, otherwise the water is miniscule. It is the correct amount of dripping for a traditional stuffing box.

Now that I think of it, this issue hasn't happened in the past year since I replaced the packing. It was never a frequent occurrence (~4 times in 5 years), because the sequence of events needed for it to happen is unusual. However, I stated it here as an example of another possible source of the water that OP might consider.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Jim Hardesty

I have a sponge under the shaft log.  It soaks up the dripping and then the water evaporates from the sponge.  Sponge is damp but not that wet.  It's a sink, kitchen size sponge, guess size is 1*3*5.  Works well for me, never noticed any odor. May not be so in salt water.

Jim 
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Drain hole for the C34 mark II models by the stuffing box bilge area - Picture from Catalina to show you where to drill

https://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-drainhole.html

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Jim : "May not be so in salt water." is an understatement!! 

Salt water doesn't evaporate well, stinks and is very corrosive.   :cry4`

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Breakin Away

I considered a sponge. I have, on occasion, put a disposable wee wee pad there, but usually throw it out afterwards. (Sometimes I'll put in the sun to dry it, then re-use.)

My bilge is always completely dry. I'd rather keep the concentrated brine away from the keel bolts.