Settee table, center berth

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Lucas

I just rebuilt our galley table as it was simply screwed to the single pedestal and was getting wobbly. I bolted a 1/4" aluminum plate to the pedestal and then mounted the table top to that. Greatly improved and solid now. But, our pedestal does retract to convert to a center berth and we have the cushion that fits in. All works great and it's obvious that the intention was from the factory but, the only weight support is from the aluminum center post and if weight is imparted on the outside edges of the table, I'm pretty sure it won't hold even given the upgrade I've done. I checked to see that there aren't wood blocks on the lower part of the seats and see that the gap between the table and seating is too large to be practical.

We'd like to be able to use this for grandkids etc. Any suggestions on what was intended on this feature?
Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

Dave Spencer

Jim,
Are you certain there aren't any battens around the lip of the starboard settee to support the retracted table for sleeping?  There are on my Mk 1.5. We never use the salon berth. The full size table and the fill-in cushion we resting comfortably in my basement at home.   The pedestal on our boat does retract.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Jim Lucas

Hi Dave,
Definitely nothing on the MKII. The table fits down perfectly and the cushion matches it but it leaves about a 4-5" gap between the table and the seats. Too big to have a batten work.
Best I can think of is I need to make some kind of movable blocks to go under the table but then I have to store them when not in use....
Jim Lucas
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Victoria, BC Canada

Dave Spencer

Or maybe a previous owner cut down the table.  As designed, it's a tight squeeze to get into the dining settee and many have cut down or replaced the dining table with something suitable for dining but not appropriate for sleeping.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Jim Lucas

That was a consideration but the table is the correct size for the space. Maybe it was just an afterthought on the manufacturer.
Jim Lucas
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Victoria, BC Canada

Ed Shankle

Jim,
My table is sized down a bit for access and although I have blocks on the long settee side to support the table lip, on the opposite corners of the table on the centerline side, I have screw in legs that I attach when in use as a bed. Works great and easy to store.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

glennd3

My PO cut down the table and made a plywood template that I use if I am going to use that birth. I keep it at home with the cushion when I am not using it. The couple of times I have to remove the table. I have to say that I like having the table out but the admiral over rules the captain.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Jim Lucas

Quote from: Ed Shankle on July 20, 2020, 03:22:44 AM
Jim,
My table is sized down a bit for access and although I have blocks on the long settee side to support the table lip, on the opposite corners of the table on the centerline side, I have screw in legs that I attach when in use as a bed. Works great and easy to store.

Regards,
Ed
Hi Ed,
This seems to be the most logical approach. I guess it was a bit of an afterthought when they included this feature.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Lucas
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Victoria, BC Canada

Ron Hill

Guys : I believe that all of the MK I C34s have a fiddle just under the starboard, fwd and aft seat cushions, that the table top sets on when down?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

The 1987 MK1 has fiddles for three sides of the table to rest on when converted to a bed. Very comfortable and secure.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Jim Lucas

Just an update;
So, it appears that this table convert to a center berth was a bit of an after thought from Catalina. I wanted to be able to use this option for grand kids etc.
I managed to modify this with a 1/4 aluminum plate for table strength and added 4 short table legs that can be easily stored and screwed in when dropping the table. Makes it super sturdy and no need for adding fiddles etc..

Happy to send pictures/descriptions if anyone is interested in making this modification.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Lucas
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Victoria, BC Canada

Ron Hill

Guys : Guess that Catalina stopped installing fiddles on the 3 sides for the MKII boats. 

I believe that it wouldn't take that much to make fiddles out of 1/4 round molding and install them!!  The fiddles would be about? 18-20 inches above the flooring and just below the fiddles that hold the seat cushions in place.  Your boat - your choice

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mdidomenico

just out of curiosity how to the cushions stay put on the mkii's?  in my mk1, the fiddles that hold the table up to make it a berth also have a lip that holds the cushion in place when it's being used a table.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Jim Lucas

Quote from: Ron Hill on July 27, 2020, 02:20:46 PM
Guys : Guess that Catalina stopped installing fiddles on the 3 sides for the MKII boats. 

I believe that it wouldn't take that much to make fiddles out of 1/4 round molding and install them!!

A thought

Hi Ron,
From my observations, when the table is lowered (mine fits the opening space perfectly so assume it's OEM), the gap for the fiddle to span would be excessive (3-4"). Beyond being majorly uncomfortable  and an ankle buster when seated, the leverage on the fiddle would require bracing.

I couldn't see any other effective method. I started with just the 1/4" alum plate bolted to the top of the post and the table then back screwed on top. This made the table very sturdy but any significant weight on the edges of the lowered table was too much. Then I added the screwed in (15" approx.) legs and now you could jump on it without worry.
I simply unscrew the 4 legs when not using in the lowered position and stow them under the seat.
Jim Lucas
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Victoria, BC Canada