Holding tank leak

Previous topic - Next topic

Frasse Pelle

Ted/WBev,

Good observation. Will fix this ASAP. I also wonder if the stanchion vent is effective. Anyone upgraded doing a hull through vent?

Francois
S/V Whitecaps
S/V Whitecaps - Hull #1292 - 1995

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Frasse Pelle on July 20, 2020, 09:27:14 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>

Anyone upgraded doing a hull through vent?

From the 101 Topics:

Head Odors 101.3  Flix of New Vent  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8185.msg57288.html#msg57288
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

WBev

Francois -  Wobegon came from a PO who put a mushroom vent on deck, next to the pump out.  I don't recommend it, but paired with the hull vent (Stu sent the link) it should work well.  However, others report the stanchion vent with the added vent works well.
Bill
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

Roc

Francois,
Snake River tank monitor??  I thought they were out of business years ago.   Any information on your purchase would be helpful.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Frasse Pelle

Roc,

Snake River device is now sold by Tank Edge Manufacturing.

https://tankedge.com/products.html

I bought directly from their website. They have done a small improvement by adding an external voltage regulator. Got tech support so I could optimized the sensor position and finally I tested the device in the lab with the tank and it did perform well.

Got two extra sensing inputs, but not sure I'll ever install the sensors on the water tanks as these are difficult to reach. 

Francois
S/V Whitecaps - Hull #1292 - 1995

mregan

I have my vent like Francois's but mine doesn't dip down and it runs up to a fitting in the hull just below the rub rail.  When I bought the boat the vent stanchion had been leaking for years so I eliminated it. 
I still get terrible odors if we let any waste stay in there more than a week so I don't think just getting the dip out of your vent line is going to help. 
I thought I read in Peggy's book you wanted 2 vents to create a cross breeze so the anerobic odors couldn't form.  I may have been mistaken.
When I replaced my tank a couple of years ago, I had 2 openings installed in the top.  Bought a Ronco tank.
I couldn't find a place to route a 2nd vent so I added a fish tank bubbler with a 1/4" hose through a hole in the capped fitting on the 2nd vent. hole.  Thinking if I was pumping air in, it would pressurize the tank and keep the anerobic odors out.  Hasn't worked that way.  I had dropped the 1/4" hose to the bottom of the tank.  I'm wondering now if I'm bubbling up the odors from the water/waste.  I might cut the hose short so it's only sticks into the tank 2-3" and fills the air space above the water/waste with fresh air.
One thing when you order the Ronco tank,  any fitting you put in the top of the tank, put it towards the stern side of the tank.  I have one of my vent holes almost in the center of the tank and it hits the wood panel covering the tank.  Their seems to be more height towards the  stern side of the tank.