Thru Stanchion Vent for Head Issue

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck.Philips

There appears to be metal covering the hole in the stanchion that serves as the vent tube for the waste tank for the head. I checked below deck--behind our switches panel.  I removed the hose clamps on the metal tube that protrudes below the deck where the elbow attaches that connects my tubing to the vent pipe.  I have attached a closeup picture of the stanchion base--I know that the hole in the stanchion used to be open as I often put water down it when washing the deck to clean out the pipes.  Now I see another metal blockage--should I just try drilling through it to open it up again?  I've read on this Forum about other owners adding a new thru hull for venting--I'd rather not do that.

Thanks
Chuck
Chuck Philips
"Forever Young"
2005 Catalina 34--#1725--Anniversary Edition

Ron Hill

Chuck : How about taking a picture of that "metal?" over the hole in the stanchion?  Then maybe we can help?

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Did you try poking something like a coat hanger from the topsides down to see if you can clear the opening?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Chuck.Philips

The picture is a closeup of the vent hole in the stanchion--where you can see that the hole is blocked by the same color of metal--I figure it is either stainless or an aluminum tube that was inserted into the base of the stanchion for attaching the elbow and waste pipe.  The metal blocking the hole inside the stanchion is what I can't figure out to do with.  Sorry it I was unclear with my original post.
Chuck Philips
"Forever Young"
2005 Catalina 34--#1725--Anniversary Edition

Noah

Very odd. I am GUESSING, if you see metal through that hole, it is possible the weld on the inner tube has failed where it passes through the base and shifted inside the stanchion(?) Unfortunately, you may have to remove the stanchion to checkout its integrity. If you drill through from the side you may end up with water leaking down to the deck(?). CD sells replacement vented stanchions. I replaced mine years ago because it was bent.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Chuck

The vented stanchion is a tube within a tube.  The inner tube (the hose connects to) extends up inside to below the lower lifeline thru-hole.  Was the stanchion damaged/ bent so that the inner tube is now against the outter?  Also check below to see if the vent tube is loose and has become detached from the base (it goes thru the base and is (or yours used to be) welded to the base.

It's a terrible, inefficient venting system, vapor has to go up the inner tube and then down the stanchion to the low deck hole.

More than one thought 😎
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain