now a prop question

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kaplan

Thank you for that, I'll look into the proceedure.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Jeff Kaplan

Noah, thanks for that. I just looked on line and got a 9  step procedure for lap fitting. I did not know of this. I printed out the instructions and will bring to boat yard and let tech read about how to lap fit, hopefully he has done this before, if not, he will learn something new. Of course, I will ask for a tech who is experienced in prop R&R.  Thanks again...Jeff

Jeff Kaplan

Noah,  I just ordered a tube of prussien blue and valve grinding compound to bring to boat yard for lap fitting prop to shaft.  Thanks again for the info. With out this procedure, shaft could break and possible loss of new, very expensive prop.

TortolaTim

Quote from: Noah on July 09, 2020, 09:28:12 AM
All interesting info. Can either/both of you share the cost of these various prop options? Also Jeff is the prop you ordered a Michigan Wheel or???

Noah, $595 for the Cambell Sailer
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

Jeff Kaplan

Tim,  make sure you read what Noah posted about lap fitting prop to shaft, I had no idea, but now I do.

TortolaTim

Jeff, yep I saw that. I wasn't aware of it either.
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

Bill Shreeves

I used Mainesail's  procedure a couple of years ago for my new prop on to my new SS shaft.  It was easy and didn't take long.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Jeff Kaplan

Thanks Bill, I printed out the instructions, got the prussin blue and valve grinding compound, hopefully will short haul boat next wed or thur, expecting much rain for next several days.

Jeff Kaplan

As a final note, I have one of the techs from H&H coming to boat when hauled to lap fit the prop to shaft. That way I know it will be professionally done and I will not have to worry about any mishaps. The directions are straight forward, but it's worth having it done by one that does it for a living.  Once installed,  I'll repost the outcome.  Happy sailing...Jeff

TortolaTim

This guy has done a really good 2 part video on the topic. Cool to watch such a dedicated craftsman, even if you aren't doing the prop

https://youtu.be/2ozh4JjoWm4
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

Bill Shreeves

Quote from: Jeff Kaplan on July 10, 2020, 08:06:11 AM
As a final note, I have one of the techs from H&H coming to boat when hauled to lap fit the prop to shaft. That way I know it will be professionally done and I will not have to worry about any mishaps. The directions are straight forward, but it's worth having it done by one that does it for a living.  Once installed,  I'll repost the outcome.  Happy sailing...Jeff

Jeff, if your there, grill him for info and insight and share here. Can't have too much of either even if a seemingly straight-forward process.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD