Another transmission question

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kaplan

Well you're all right and I was wrong about the transmission, T-G. I went for a swim today and sure enough 1 of the blades was missing, explains everything. Must have hit something submerged. Going out sailing tomorrow and will motor as little as possible, keep revs below 1500 and I'll be fine.  Monday off to H&H propeller in Salem and then to marina to arrange a short haul, have prop pulled and new one pressed on. Going to cost plenty, but not as much as a transmission over haul.. Thank you for all your replies and suggestions, greatly appreciated. On a positive note, my new Doyle 135 Genoa is great, added a little speed. This is the first time in 16 years that we didn't have a BBQ on board and watch the fire works in Salem harbor, all event cancelled, oh well, hopefully next year this nightmare will be over. Hope all have a happy and safe 4th. Thanks again...Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Jeff Kaplan

I guess I should ask if any one knows what is the correct prop to replace. Just a 2 blade will do? Pitch?  M25 w/ Hurst 50 Thanks

Noah

Glad to hear it wasn't transmission. A good diver can install a new blade on your existing Kiwi prop. While I have installed props in the water many times, I don't recommend installing a completly new prop in the water unless you have a spare that has been pre-lapped/fitted.  Meanwhile,  I would NOT motor AT ALL  with a broken blade.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Bill Shreeves

Yeah, even though the vibration isn't bad until you go over 1500 Jeff, it's so far out of balance, nothing good can come from spinning it at all.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Jeff Kaplan

I will take the advise given and not go out tomorrow, not until new prop installed. Probably cost as much to get a diver as it will to get a short haul, so will have marina get it done. Thanks again to all...Jeff