salon table pedestal rebuild?

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan Ray

It was cut down to 36" x 22". There are three teak fiddle's on the original table ...the long one fit on the inside and combined two on the outside of the new table.
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Ron Hill

All : It seemed to me that the early factory dinette tables had the best workmanship (1986/87/88). They had 5 fiddles!!  There have been so many table modifications that they'd easily fill a 100+ page booklet!

When I was the C34 Mainsheet tech note editor, I'd call for technical articles and half of articles sent to me (I swear) were modifications to that salon table!

And as you-all can see - the mods are still coming!   :shock:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Breakin Away

Unlike many of you, I'm perfectly happy with our OEM table. We have no problems getting in and out of the dinette.

However, I would like to replace the non-functioning gas spring inside the corrugated brown aluminum pedestal. Right now we've got the locking knob cranked as tight as possible in the up position. The gas spring would allow for easy lowering and raising, but more importantly, would help keep the table up without it being totally dependent on the locking knob, especially if someone should lose their balance and give a hard push downward on the table.

Does anyone know where this spring can be found, without having to spring for the entire $548 mechanism (pun intended)?

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

KWKloeber

Ba, Are you saying that

#1) The locking isn't tight enough anymore?  Or
#2) You don't want to rely on only that?

(If #1) is the replacement parts/kit on CD what you need?

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Breakin Away

Quote from: KWKloeber on September 11, 2020, 08:54:11 PM
Ba, Are you saying that

#1) The locking isn't tight enough anymore?  Or
#2) You don't want to rely on only that?

(If #1) is the replacement parts/kit on CD what you need?

-k
#2. It's fine for now, but I could envision a possibility of the plastic ferrules and other parts breaking without the additional support provided by the gas spring. I'm a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Jim Hardesty

QuoteUnlike many of you, I'm perfectly happy with our OEM table. We have no problems getting in and out of the dinette.
Does anyone know where this spring can be found,

I'm with you, the table may not be perfect but for the way I use it it's fine.  What I don't like is the wobble, not enough to make any major changes but do think about it.  I have thought about adding a support at the compression post.  Was thinking about just a wood block held with hose clamps, zip ties or rope to see how much that would help.  Could even add a knob screw through the block into the table.  This hasn't gotten past the thinking about it stage, yet.  Maybe something like that would work for you.

FWIW.  A few weeks ago I lowered the table, looking at another thinking about doing idea, and after raising the table pretty sure table had less wobble.  Maybe exercising the table helps.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Oldlaxer1

I went with something very similar to Susan's and I think we're going to love it. Easy access to storage and now it swivels for even better access. Naturally I kept the old one and put it and the cushion in storage.
John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

scgunner

Lots of great ideas on this thread, everything from keep stock to complete removal and everything in between. As always there's no right way it's what works best for you.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

Quote from: Breakin Away on September 11, 2020, 08:58:39 PM

I could envision a possibility of the plastic ferrules and other parts breaking without the additional support provided by the gas spring.

You might try to contact Zwaardvis directly or Taco (the US distributor) to see if there are ANY parts or substitute support available.  A long shot no doubt!!

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain