salon table pedestal rebuild?

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

Since i'm still furloughed from work and looking for things to tinker with on the boat, i focused in on the salon table pedestal.  it already appears the threaded portion of the gas strut is broken.  the lower outside flange that sits on the sole also seems to be stuck to the lower support post (ie alu corrosion bonded).  i couldn't see any fasteners so i have to assume it's just "stuck".  i'm waiting to see if the sun/penetrating oil will loosen it up.  if anyone's dissembled their's and has a suggestion i'm all ears.

if i can't free the lower flange, which would allow me to clean everything and repaint, i'm hedging towards just removing the pedestal all together.  maybe after i use the boat for sometime i'll reevaluate.  i'm sure the pedestal lends some support when it's a berth, but is there any actual function of the up/down of the table other then convenience and a little support?  if i rebuild i think i'd just use some sort of fixed base/post and remove/shrink it when i want it to be a berth.

replacement parts from CD seem wildly expensive.  looking through the past posts on the forum is seems that a large number of people did one or both of two things.  shrink the size of the table and/or remove the pedestal all together.  those posts were mostly from many years ago, i wonder if that's still the general consensus.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Noah

If you remove the pedestal you will have a big round hole in the sole you will have "address" somehow.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mdidomenico

Quote from: Noah on June 29, 2020, 11:33:39 AM
If you remove the pedestal you will have a big round hole in the sole you will have "address" somehow.

all of my sole boards need to be redone.  and more then just sand/polish.  for some reason the board under the salon table is totally delaminated, so i'll have to replace that whole sheet.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

glennd3

If you cut the table you cannot use that area as a birth unless you make a plywood template. PO did just that and it works but I have to remove the table and bring the plywood and the cushion onto the boat. It is a little hassle but not bad.

Quote from: mdidomenico on June 29, 2020, 11:19:48 AM
Since i'm still furloughed from work and looking for things to tinker with on the boat, i focused in on the salon table pedestal.  it already appears the threaded portion of the gas strut is broken.  the lower outside flange that sits on the sole also seems to be stuck to the lower support post (ie alu corrosion bonded).  i couldn't see any fasteners so i have to assume it's just "stuck".  i'm waiting to see if the sun/penetrating oil will loosen it up.  if anyone's dissembled their's and has a suggestion i'm all ears.

if i can't free the lower flange, which would allow me to clean everything and repaint, i'm hedging towards just removing the pedestal all together.  maybe after i use the boat for sometime i'll reevaluate.  i'm sure the pedestal lends some support when it's a berth, but is there any actual function of the up/down of the table other then convenience and a little support?  if i rebuild i think i'd just use some sort of fixed base/post and remove/shrink it when i want it to be a berth.

replacement parts from CD seem wildly expensive.  looking through the past posts on the forum is seems that a large number of people did one or both of two things.  shrink the size of the table and/or remove the pedestal all together.  those posts were mostly from many years ago, i wonder if that's still the general consensus.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

scgunner

I started my project by doing what a lot of people have done, using a cut down table top. I made a smaller table top out of teak because I didn't want to cut down the original top so it could still be used for the berth. What I found after I installed the smaller top is that it would still support the cushion so it could function as a bunk.

The new, smaller, teak top looked nice and was more functional. Then my wife asked" what if we pulled it out altogether?", so I did, what a difference, it opened up the whole salon and made the area seem much roomier. For the hole in the deck I made a plug that covers it and can be remove should I want to replace the pedestal. For now the salon is open and the original table top is stowed aboard for the berth.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Patches

I just scrapped my original table and started from new.  Let's face it:  the original table was designed to act as a platform for an additional berth.  It was always an uncomfortable "bumshuffle" to get any one around the table.  And over time, the old Zwaardvis telescoping post had broken at the place where the clamp tightened the post.

I purchased the Zwaardvis fixed table base with a tapered post through Fisheries Supply (maybe $90).  I had concerns that it would be "wobbly" but that hasn't been the case at all.  The base is a big enough diameter that with the new (smaller) table top being moved outboard slightly, it still covers the old hole though the sole.  I opted for a teak table top which folds in half (on sale at Defender) so that it will either seat 3 for dinner or 4 for drinks in the dinette (maybe $160 on sale).  The top is clamped (top clamp/table support for 2 3/8" post was $35) to the top of the post and swivels through 270 degrees.

The advantages are (1) the whole thing can be removed, (2) much easier to get in and out of the dinette even when in place, and (3) versatility.  The disadvantage is that you can't drop it to make a berth, but that was never going to happen anyway.

Patches

Stu Jackson

I just trimmed 6 1/2 inches off the aft end of the table.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Mdid : I kept the original table, but made the aft end into a drop leaf (Mainsheet tech note article w/pictures) It was easy to do!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Susan Ray

Aloha, I hope I haven’t posted this before .....I  had the table cut down and used the wood that was on the original one on the sides. Plus wood tape around all the edges.Now it swivels so that people can get into the seating and it’s enough room for dinner for four. I don’t use it as extra sleeping area.( for some reason my photo wouldn’t post)
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Oldlaxer1

I made a much smaller table but was behind in finishing it so it didn't make it on our 4 day trip last weekend. I have to admit, the table is more of a catch all rather than used for dining.  Perhaps in the fall we'll eat down below if it is too cold in the cockpit.  I was thinking that maybe for warm weather sailing removing it all together might be a better plan. 
John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

scgunner

John,

As you can see there are many different ideas when it comes to the dining table, you'll just have to figure out which one works best for you.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Bobg

I made a smaller table, and bungeed the stock table in the back berth against the engine side wall so I have it on board but out of the way until I need it, I also installed a shelf in the back berth towards the fuel tank up tight against the ceiling to store the cushion, works for me
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

scgunner

Susan Ray

Trying one more time for a photo of the cut down table.
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

scgunner

Susan,

That's an interesting take on this topic, it looks like you cut down the backside of the table which would give more room to move around in the main salon. I can't tell, did you shorten any of the other three sides?